Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thomas

Hello, a question for SAPP coders and anyone that might know how to do this...

This will be my first post in this particular board.

We have had issues with our servers...  On or about August 8th, we had a massive power surge that destroyed our rack and the servers contained within, and the hardware attached to them all.  more details here.

What I have come up with as a solution is using Google Drive Sync to constantly sync our server logs to Google Drive as a safety net, as a backup.  This means that we dont have to worry if the server crashes again as the entire "cg" folder that contains the logs and various gametypes can be saved there.

My question is that SAPP, which we use on all of our servers may be a bit of a tricky one to back up there.  I wanted to be able to do the same thing as in the command line on the shortcut to start the servers using the "-path" command which forces the server to load the SAPP scripts and gametypes from the Google Drive folder containing them.  We can also set the "-exec" command to set it to load the init.txt file of the server from the same location in the same way.  SAPP appears to store its mapcycle, ipbans list, admins list and all that in the server root in various text files but I cannot seem to set it to load them from a different location.  Is there anyone in this board that knows of a solution to do this?

I wanted to be able to save all logs, gametypes, and SAPP files (ipbans, mapcycle etc) to Google Drive and sync them all there constantly to try and reduce the risk of losing everything again in the same manner as before.  This would mean that we would just have to restore the servers and maps to the same location and then we can literally start them instantly and should be just as before.  Syncing the SAPP folders directly from the game folder is impossible as it would mean doing it with the entire folder, each one several hundred MB, some are a few GB, and we dont have enough GD storage for this.  Logs are literally no issue for this since each one is only about 2MB.  Our Google Drive account has plenty of space for this.

Can anyone think of a way that this can be done?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Thomas

“No, this trick won't work... How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?” - Albert Einstein

"For every action has is an equal and opposite reaction". - Sir Isaac Newton
"In honor there is hope" - Alaska State Troopers

=DN= The Dark Nexus Multi-Gaming Clan

SrrF26y.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

I don't understand...

“No, this trick won't work... How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?” - Albert Einstein

SrrF26y.png

Posted (edited)

Thanks.  I will look in to this and report back with my results.

*EDIT*

After looking at the article linked by Kavawuvi, the game servers are stored on multiple seperate physical disks with different drive letters.  The article appears to indicate that the symbolic link option is restricted to a single volume, meaning that it would not be possible to use this as an option.

Thanks for the idea.

Edited by Thomas

SrrF26y.png

Well I wouldn't say its not restricted, just bothersome cause of how many locations of where you wanting to access from.

Plus the real question is how are you storing it via Google Drive? Just really asking due to how complicated this can get

Have an apple! apple.pngskull.png

Its only stored in the Google Drive folder which is located in the user files, more specifically, my account, and synced constantly to Google via Google Drive Sync so we reduce the risk of losing stuff in the future.

Similar to Dropbox.

SrrF26y.png