Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for modders and technology enthusiasts; have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

New PC

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

3 hours ago, Sceny said:

Nice build :)

Why did you choose to go AMD?

I needed more than four cores, but I had no upgrade path on Z170. The 7700K offers very little my 6700K didn't already have, as I could have just input 42 and 45 into the BIOS for similar results. Therefore, I need a new motherboard. AMD's Ryzen processors have comparable performance to Intel's offerings, but at a far better value, and the motherboards are also a bit cheaper.

With Intel, here's what I'm dealing with:

• Intel Core i7-8700K costs $369.99.
  • MicroATX Z370 boards generally cost around $110
  • CPU cooler costs $30. Note that reusing my previous cooler is not an option because I still need the older PC.

The total price of this is $509.99.

With AMD, here's what I got:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600 cost me $159.99
  • MSI B450M Mortar cost me $79.99
  • No CPU cooler was necessary, because the cooler that comes with AMD Ryzen CPUs are actually not complete garbage.

The total price of this was $239.98. I do get slightly worse performance than the Intel Core i7-8700K, but I get significantly better performance than the Intel Core i7-6700K I was using before.

I did consider other options from Intel:

• A locked Intel Core i7-8700 and a cheaper, locked motherboard, dropping the price by around $100 (-$35 for CPU, -$35 for MB, -$30 for cooler)

The base performance of the Intel Core i7-8700 is still a bit higher than the base performance of an AMD Ryzen 5 2600, but the AMD Ryzen 5 2600 can be overclocked, negating the difference in performance and then some. Also, it would still be more expensive, and the garbage Intel box cooler might limit performance further.

• Waiting for 10 nm

I'd prefer to not wait until I'm so old that I have too much arthritis just to put the RAM in.

• Skylake-X, Intel Core i9-9900K, etc.

I like my PC when it's not a dumpster fire. Also, Intel's more expensive CPUs have terrible value. Sure, they're technically faster than AMD's offerings, but not enough that justifies the gargantuan price hike.

• Used CPUs

I could potentially match the performance of a Ryzen 5 2600 for much less by buying a decent, used Xeon, but then I am limited in what I can upgrade to, plus I may miss out on PCIe 3.0, DDR4, USB 3.1, M.2, etc.

Ultimately, I determined AMD was the better option for me, today.

Sunstriker7 and Sceny like this