Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Using Blender for lightmaps

I'm not apologizing for this... You had it coming...

uTrF6jx.jpg

Are you not able to offload whatever process Blender is using to your GPU? I remember taking a 3D art class using some tool I've never heard of that's built around CPU power, and GPU rendered through cloud computing. But it didn't support local GPU rendering of any sort. Is Blender one of those kinds of tools?

Edited by ShikuTeshi

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure."-Somewhere on the internet  

You say its 2048x1024, but it looks way lower on the comparison

A question, you still need to create a standard lightmap with tool to import it in Blender like using Aether and 3ds Max?

On 9/25/2018 at 8:14 PM, EmmanuelCD said:

You say its 2048x1024, but it looks way lower on the comparison

As explained in my post...

On 9/25/2018 at 2:07 PM, Kavawuvi said:

Also, lightmaps may not take full advantage of the bitmap's resolution. Blood Gulch's ground lightmaps, for example, only utilize 23% of the available space on the lightmap. Blender could potentially improve this by giving you the option to remap the UVs.

The bitmap is the correct resolution, but about 77% of it isn't utilized. I have not remapped the UVs and they are still using the stock UVs, but it is a thing that could be done should I write such an importer.

On 9/25/2018 at 8:14 PM, EmmanuelCD said:

A question, you still need to create a standard lightmap with tool to import it in Blender like using Aether and 3ds Max?

No.

On 9/25/2018 at 5:58 PM, ShikuTeshi said:

Are you not able to offload whatever process Blender is using to your GPU? I remember taking a 3D art class using some tool I've never heard of that's built around CPU power, and GPU rendered through cloud computing. But it didn't support local GPU rendering of any sort. Is Blender one of those kinds of tools?

I can use my GPU to bake lightmaps as opposed to using just my CPU, but my GTX 1070 does not save much time over my Intel Core i7-6700K, if any. I'd likely need multiple GPUs to see a difference, assuming Blender can utilize two GPUs.

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

competent.png

On 9/27/2018 at 8:34 PM, Sunstriker7 said:

As I've said, GPU rendering is an option that could be done as an alternative to CPU rendering. However, I have not found any sort of time savings when comparing my 6700K to my 1070.

Since you guys seem insistent on this, though, I'll show you a graph of what I did.

Here's what I got with AMD's Ryzen Blender benchmark. I ran it three times each just to be safe, both compared to my factory overclocked GTX 1070 and my GTX 1070 when given a manual overclock. These tests are run on Blender 2.79b, 150 samples.

i7-6700K vs GTX 1070 - Blender Cycles

Data:

• Intel Core i7-6700K (~4000 MHz): 47.43s 46.57s 46.69s (Average: 46.90s)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (~1923 MHz): 77.53s 78.15s 78.12s (Average: 77.93s)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (~2138 MHz): 72.13s 71.01s 72.83s (Average: 71.99s)

As you can see, my Intel Core i7-6700K takes around 39.82% less time to complete the benchmark compared to my GTX 1070 when only factory overclocked and 34.85% less time when said GPU manually overclocked.

If I were to have two or more GPUs or a far more powerful GPU, then yes, my CPU would be the slower way to render things. However, I am, regretfully, not made out of money, so I am only able to show you a single GTX 1070 benchmark.

Sunstriker7 and ST34MF0X like this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

competent.png