Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Krazychic

Schooling

How much do you turn to forums for answers to your school assignments?

Does this result in you gaining a false or inaccurate result on your assessment if others are solving the problems for you?

My kids have set instructions on whether they can or not turn to the Internet for resources.

2ew2skp.png

For starters, I'll just point out that if you make a rule you can't enforce, that rule doesn't truly exist.

I also think it just depends on the kind of assignment they have. Can you be more specific?

To answer your first question though, I turn to the internet a lot. A lot. And I mean like, A LOT. The only school I'm in now is workforce development classes to become a journeyman plumber, and my teacher every now and then writes an absolutely retarded question that I can't find find an answer for anywhere in our just as retarded course book and I end up having to look it up online. In this situation, the internet is no more than an extension of the book, because all that question needs me to do is find the answer, not synthesize the answer, if that makes sense.

Use of the internet is a double edged sword. It's absolutely imperative that everyone learns how to find the information they need from credible sources, although on the other hand people also need to learn for themselves how to think and not just regurgitate said information.

DiSiAC likes this

Kavawuvi: one of these days these glutes are gonna squawk all over you

To be more exact I mean like being given an assignment to conduct an experiment, whether it be scientific, electrical, technological or otherwise and be given a formula, that's broken, and having to work out the error to make said experiment function fully.

You would need to test the formula to aid in finding the error, work on it to find probable cause, then rectify it in hope of a positive result, not just look it up on the web or ask in discussion groups or forums, and nut it out for yourself. If this fails then you keep working on it eventually doing your head in.

Is it acceptable to gain the information required by utilising forums and discussion groups, having people from them working on it for you and receiving a creditable grade and passing it of as your own work?

I see the problem being A+ graded students actually being a lesser grade reflecting in poor placement in the workforce. Hiring someone you see as having qualifications but unknowingly they may have failed their schooling if it were to be known of the 'assistance' they received in getting the grades they received.

I hope that makes sense.

2ew2skp.png

It seems to me like you already know the answer to your question. Going to the internet and having someone else do that work for them is selling themselves very short. Will they get full credit for their assignment? Most likely. Will they be able to pass the later test? Sure, though they may or may not do as well as others that did the work themselves. Will they retain that information in the long run? Certainly not as long as others that did it themselves. Will your kids learn the lesson that they don't have to truly learn anything for themselves because the internet can tell them everything they need? Absolutely, and I think we all see the danger in that. Will your child's future employers be able to tell that while they initially thought your child to be very qualified is actually less qualified than most? Of course they will, we all know at least one person like this.

It just depends on what you want your kids to learn. Do you want to teach them how to pass the test? Or do you want to teach them how to think for themselves?

tl;dr Learning takes hard work and dedication. Good grades does not a good student make.

Oh, as an aside, grades don't really matter anyway. Do you know what they call a doctor that graduated last in their class?

Spoiler

Doctor.

Edited by Sunstriker7

Kavawuvi: one of these days these glutes are gonna squawk all over you