Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

gbMichelle

AI sync (And possible other stuff) [Super WIP]

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Awesome! Glad to see more people working on syncing AI, I just have a little question. Are you using client-side AI? I mean, something like using the server to send its bipeds' data to the clients so they can spawn their own local bipeds and move, rotate or animate them the way the server tells them to do instead of using the braindead bipeds spawned by the server on the client-side? (Sounds quite strange, but maybe you know what I mean), anyway, I could share the scripts from my last post if you think you could find something useful in them.

Here's a little update: 

I've worked a bit on making the server clean up the list of ai that should be synced. There now also is action updates for when the ai do things such as change animations or turn more than a certain threshold. Today has been a bit slow, and I'll probably end up doing more. But I kind of wanted to show some stuff while I scratch my head on some issues like the bipeds sometimes flying at ridiculous velocities. Making ai that died on the server die on the client also isn't implemented yet, although I am only a few lines of code away from that.

@IceCrow14

These AI run on the server and are sent over to the client. I spent a whole day on trying to use the braindead bipeds the server spawns, but I have had no luck working with them, even though I feel like I got really close. So I got rid of them(kind of).

I'm not letting the client spawn them as I don't want potentially hundreds of ai to spawn because 10 people joined. The client actually has the ai turned off and I have some stuff set up so that if somehow client side ai still spawns they immediately get deleted. But this disabling and deleting only happens if the client has detected it is on a server with this script.

would it be possible for clients to name these server side bipeds, so they can be manipulated (like attaching AI), and have them do all the animation stuff while your scripts update their real position?

I mean, I could sync object names. I haven't worked on this for a while because I've been busy. It's not dead. I just need to rewrite most of it to be better.

Hope it works out. I found a way to give the server bipeds AI by possessing them and using myself the player as the object name, then returning to my original body. I'm just wondering how these bipeds would react with the client if you could update their real position every couple seconds. While their client side enabled ai interacts with the player, they would still be the server bipeds, and Halo already syncs the existence health and ping animations for player and non player bipeds.

Edited by Russian Poot Man

I made a very early concept video for this, its not finished. The client and server attached AI behave differently on the server biped because they are working under slightly different parameters, causing it to rubberband way more than it should.  Hope I can fix that. 

Ignore the laggy sentinel, thats just me and the client thinks player movement is disabled.

Edited by Russian Poot Man