Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for modders and technology enthusiasts; have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Thomas

Halo CE servers very laggy! Dont know why!

13 posts in this topic

So the story goes like this:

I have hosted a server with a company in Pennsylvania now for around 2 years and earlier this month, on or about August 8th, they had equipment failure causing a massive power surge to go to the rack where our server is located.  It fried the entire rack of servers and all the hardware in them, including drives, motherboard and power supply.  I am not entirely sure if it fried the RAM as I was not told this, but I suspect that it is at least damaged.  The RAM we had in our old server is possibly in our new server, could this be a cause of the lag we are experiencing?

Our server specs are as follows...

NOTE: This setup was working just fine before the above described event, although has some minor changes, like the WD Black before was a 2TB, now it is a 1TB.  Apart from the other drives, that is the only change and the system SSD is now 240GB instead of 120GB.

A pair of Intel Xeon X5650 with each one having 6 cores and 12 threads, making it 12 cores and 24 threads

72GB of RAM (all of them are 4GB modules) DDR3 (possibly 13333Mhz)  We also have a 56GB page file to bring it up to 128GB of virtual RAM,

a 240GB SSD (to run Windows and programs)

a 1TB WD Black (7200RPM drive with 32MB cache)

a further three 1TB drives for backups and data storage for installing more servers, saving maps and other server installs for access, to not cause lag on the game servers drive (dedicated 1TB WD Black as above)

1Gbps line

Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)

Is there anyone out there that knows what could be causing this?  I have tried everything I know, and I am only pulling my hair out trying to fix this!

The lag seems to be intermittent, but I am not sure whats causing it, I could upload a video to show you what is happening if you need me to, which I will start converting once I have posted this thread, if any replies, I will post it to a reply instead.

Edited by Thomas

“No, this trick won't work... How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?” - Albert Einstein

"For every action has is an equal and opposite reaction". - Sir Isaac Newton
"In honor there is hope" - Alaska State Troopers

=DN= The Dark Nexus Multi-Gaming Clan

SrrF26y.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Hi Thomas,

Honestly really hard to say without bench marking the rig to see if it's the rig itself or the sites net connection topology and its hardware being affected also by the surge. I probably get with the site its located and see if anything else got affected as well doing some in depth memory diagnostics on the ram. Also would do a check on the SSD cause they can be a hit or miss on a server setup, especially with any type of sql setup residing on it.

Have an apple! apple.pngskull.png

Java, thank you for your reply...

My dedicated server hosts actually completely rebuilt my box with the same specs, so it cant be the box, unless they accidentally added faulty hardware.

But it is not just me that is being affected, it seems that someone in our gaming organisation seem to be lagging as well, and they are in the same state as the server, and have 33 ping...

I don't understand whats going on...

“No, this trick won't work... How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?” - Albert Einstein

SrrF26y.png

Run pings for a day or so, then if you find high latencies or drops there, show it to your provider, because it's not necessarily your hardware.

I am not aware of how to run constant pins tho...

Also, we have a member from the USA who lives around 300 miles from the server, gets around 33 - 66 ping and even he lags like we all do.

Does this help?

SrrF26y.png

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

I am not aware of how to run constant pins tho...

Open Command Prompt, and enter: ping 1.1.1.1 -t

It also might help if you post a traceroute here. In Command Prompt, enter: tracert 1.1.1.1

For both of these, use your server's address in place of 1.1.1.1.

Looking at the output of

Get-Process | Select ProcessName,PM,CPU,StartTime

that you provided me on Discord, it looks as if certain threads of the haloded executable are running higher than average CPU usage. I am still looking through the output of

Get-Hotfix | Sort InstalledOn

I'm trying to pinpoint if there's a botched update. The .NET Framework updates are usually a problem child from my experience, as well as the variations of the Meltdown/Spectre patches. There's not a lot of performance metrics against the newest Intel CPU update for the newest vulnerabilities.

I would recommend setting up some filters in Performance Monitor and letting it run over the course of 48 hours to see what processes are getting hung. Is there also a debug mode in the Halo dedicated server, that would be nice to collect logs on as well.

Edited by Solaris
Thomas likes this

AWS/Linux Administrator | Angry Crab Admin

Here is a video I took in one of our servers, and I was the only player at the time in all servers, perhaps this helps determine the cause...

The video shows how it is lagging by "teleporting" and "jumping" in some places quite significantly to different parts of the map and warping through walls.  I still have no idea what is causing it other than a possible DDoS attack.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  This is making me pull my hair out!

Edited by Thomas

SrrF26y.png

28 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  This is making me pull my hair out!

..what did you find with the ping results?

What I am getting with 11 hops

Ping statistics for 204.124.181.66:
    Packets: Sent = 361, Received = 345, Lost = 16 (4% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 180ms, Average = 72ms

Starting to think its something on the server itself, might want to get with your hosting (VolumeDrive) and see what exactly they did with the setup of the machine.
Also any other issues you ran into with the re-setup of the machine (like anything). Also what Solaris pointed out with the hotfixes, and a newer flaw called "ForeShadow " is def something you need to look into.

Edited by Java

Have an apple! apple.pngskull.png