Kavawuvi

Invader

137 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

It's that day again - monthly update day!

First off, new tools were added. invader-refactor allows you to rename tags while also changing the references in all of the tags in a tags folder. You no longer have to build the tags, rename, and then extract. Also, invader-collection can make .tag_collection tags using text files.

Also, CEA maps can now be built... sort of! See this topic for more information: 

Here's the full log:

Added

• New tool: invader-refactor - Find and replace tag references.
  • New tool: invader-collection - Generates tag collection tags
  • invader-build: Added `mcc` as an engine target. If building MCC CEA maps, you will need to modify the .fmeta tag, too
  • invader-build: Now errors if any tag has an animation graph but no model
  • invader-build: Added --uncompressed for engine targets that default to compressed (i.e. `mcc`) to be built as uncompressed.
  • invader-compress: Can now decompress/compress CEA maps. If decompressed by a tool besides invader-compress, then the engine version in the header will need to be changed from 0x7 (7) to 0x233 (563) to correctly recompress. The value will be set back to the correct value upon compression.
  • invader-extract: Can now extract BSP tags from CEA maps.
  • invader-extract: Can now extract tags from CEA maps. If the map is uncompressed from a tool besides invader-compress, then the engine version in the header will need to be changed from 0x7 (7) to 0x233 (563) to correctly load. BSP tags, sounds, and bitmaps do not currently extract.
  • invader-extract: Added partial support for Xbox maps
  • invader-indexer: Can now index tags from CEA maps. If the map is uncompressed from a tool besides invader-compress, then the engine version in the header will need to be changed from 0x7 (7) to 0x233 (563) to correctly load.
  • invader-info: Added partial support for Xbox maps
  • invader-info: Added `-T uncompressed-size`
  • invader-info: Can now query CEA maps. If the map is uncompressed from a tool besides invader-compress, then the engine version in the header will need to be changed from 0x7 (7) to 0x233 (563) to correctly load.
  • invader-refactor: Added `-s` which only writes to a single tag
  • invader-refactor: Added `-D` which performs the operation without making any actual changes
  • invader-strip: Added `-p` which runs the tag through Invader's preprocessor (used in invader-build). This is to make tags easier to compare.

Changed

• invader: gbxmodel tags that have markers located in the main model struct are now considered invalid
  • invader: Tags with multiple consecutive path separators are now fixed when run through the tag or map parser
  • invader-build: Now warns if a biped or vehicle is missing an animation graph, and, if not, errors if the tag is missing a model

Fixed

• invader-archive: Fixed an issue with single tag archival when archiving bitmaps or sounds
  • invader-build: Fixed ejection port recovery rate being calculated as 1 for some tags
  • invader-build: Fixed maps with stubbed tags being detected as protected in invader-info; note, however, that maps will need to be rebuilt
  • invader-build: Fixed a typo in an error message for weapon_hud_interface tags
  • invader-build: Fixed showing the wrong indices in weapon_hud_interface errors
  • invader-build: Fixed non-power-of-two check giving incorrect results when compiling bitmaps
  • invader-build: Fixed a missing "bip01 head" resulting in a warning
  • invader-build: Fixed sound_scenery references not working in effect tags
  • invader-build: Fixed some bounds checking issues when compiling invalid collision models or BSP collision
  • invader-build: Fixed scenery and light fixtures not spawning on MCC maps
  • invader-extract: Fixed an issue where some hidden values were being stripped unnecessarily
  • invader-extract: Fixed an issue where certain model_animation tags did not extract
  • invader-strip: Fixed an issue where some hidden values were being stripped unnecessarily

In other news, work is being done on the tag editor. This cross-platform tag editor offers high performance and support for Invader's multiple virtual tag directory feature. It also works on Linux!

gdXrlJZ.png

By high performance, I mean that BSPs load and save extremely fast - within milliseconds. This is because Invader's parser is blazingly fast, so more time is actually being spent generating the UI than it is being spent parsing the tag.

As always, the latest Windows nightly builds can be retrieved from https://invader.opencarnage.net/builds/nightly/download-latest.html

Takka likes this

Whoo! More work has been done on the tag editor. Here are some screenshots to show both dark and light themes.

Linux  - KDE desktop environment, Breeze Dark, my personal color theming

GkGpRQp.png

AEzUlGn.png

Windows 10

AhpqTDR.png

cOG2o02.png

ST34MF0X, Sunstriker7 and Takka like this

Now for the real question:

if you make a dark and light theme for each platform, which theme will be the default one?

Edited by Sunstriker7

13 hours ago, Sunstriker7 said:

Now for the real question:

if you make a dark and light theme for each platform, which theme will be the default one?

I guess if I did make a dark and light theme, I would make the dark theme the default one. Those are a bit easier to read.

I'm not really experienced with GUIs or theming, though, so that would be difficult to set up for me.

ST34MF0X and Sunstriker7 like this

CEA bitmap extraction now works. Turns out that MCC completely disregards everything in the bitmap data block (EDIT: when loading bitmaps - probably not when scaling them) and uses data from the .ipak files, instead. This can be fixed in extraction, but it's a pain in the ass. Thankfully I'm willing to do that.

vEP6cKS.png

ST34MF0X, Sunstriker7 and MrChromed like this

I had to disable CEA bitmap extraction due to some issues regarding how data doesn't match the actual stuff in the ipak. This doesn't prevent extraction in and of itself, but it may cause issues with rebuilding maps, so I'm looking into seeing if I can fix that.

In the meantime, I began work on bitmap previewing in invader-edit-qt.

PY54Qgp.png

xExDCLb.png

ST34MF0X likes this

Hey! As of today, I'm no longer going to be posting monthly updates into this topic. There are a few reasons why, but it mainly boils down to the fact that people in this community are generally not interested in testing or supporting unfinished, in-development software.

I have heard from a lot of people that they are interested in the Invader project, but they are unwilling to use it due to it not being complete. For that, I completely understand, but know that hearing that is actually completely and utterly worthless for me. Funnily enough, there is equivalent software that people use that is far more buggy or broken (though somehow considered "complete"?). I have been upfront in stating that my project is, in fact, not complete, and I am not willing to be dishonest about the status of this project.

Basically, I post these updates in the hopes that people will test my stuff. Since starting this project, numerous issues have been found, but almost none of these issues were reported from anyone on this forum (besides Vaporeon and myself, people already closely involved with this project), and some of these issues were present for months. Did you know that invader-build didn't work on Windows for over a month? I didn't until I found out and promptly fixed it within hours. In fact, nobody told me, and it was only until I randomly stumbled across it.

Note that I'm not stopping or slowing development of this project. Updates will be posted as per usual on the Invader Discord server. Also, the MCC updates topic (https://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/7893-invader-mcc-updates/) will still get updates when that needs it.

Oh, also, invader-edit-qt now has sound playback, so that's pretty cool!

eTE1RsU.png

Takka and ST34MF0X like this