Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

DevCysera

Issues with my server!! Help would be very appreciated!

Hello, I've recently been running into problems on my server and I want them gone. First off when some random people join the server the server sometimes just gives them admin rank and people I made admin it takes away their rank. Secondly, when my SAPP Events are being executed it will just keep spamming the whole chat with messages, how do I make it to where it only says the messages once and every now and again just to remind people without spamming the whole chat. Thirdly, my server has been skipping over some maps I put into the server for some reason and when people get banned for some reason I don't have a bans file, how do I get a bans file so I can see who's banned. FYI I'm using Elitegameservers as a host if that helps in any way! Please help me out!!! Thanks very much!

56 minutes ago, DevCysera said:

First off when some random people join the server the server sometimes just gives them admin rank and people I made admin it takes away their rank.

If you are using CD hash based (v1) admins, then it's possible one or more of your admins are using an illegitimate copy of the game. Halo Custom Edition is heavily pirated, thus lots of people are using the same CD key. Other people who are sharing a CD key with your admins will, therefore, have admin access to your server as a result. Switch your admins to username/password based (v2) admins and purge all CD hash based (v1) admins.

Requiring a username and password for admins is a bit more secure, but it is a little annoying to use and it is the only other way you can use SAPP admins.

Secondly, when my SAPP Events are being executed it will just keep spamming the whole chat with messages, how do I make it to where it only says the messages once and every now and again just to remind people without spamming the whole chat.

What's your events.txt?

Thirdly, my server has been skipping over some maps I put into the server for some reason

What's your mapcycle.txt?

and when people get banned for some reason I don't have a bans file, how do I get a bans file so I can see who's banned. FYI I'm using Elitegameservers as a host if that helps in any way! Please help me out!!! Thanks very much!

I've heard similar complaints from users who buy servers from Elite Game Servers.net. You can use sv_banlist_file to find your banlist file. If you can't access it, then I suggest getting in contact with your host.

WaeV likes this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

competent.png

Okay, how do I switch them over to login admins? Sorry I'm still pretty new to SAPP, and for my events.txt file I have it like this

event_join $lvl>1 'wait 1000;say * "Admin $name has joined!"'
event_join 'w8 10;say $n "We have some rules here! Just type /rules in order to view them!" '
event_join 'w8 20;say $n "Please follow the rules or you might get kicked or banned!" '
event_join 'w8 30;say * "Map skipping is enabled! Type SKIP to vote to skip this map!"'
event_teamswitch 'say $n "Welcome to the $team team, $name!" '
event_join 'w8 40;say * "Votekick is enabled! If there are any unruly players just /votekick them!"'
event_join 'w8 50;say * "You spawn with two random weapons every spawn!"'
event_join 'w8 60;say * "We are Rank #100 on Game Tracker, let's keep up the great work!"'
event_kill $streak=5 'say * "$name - Killing Spree!"'
event_kill $streak=10 'say * "$name - Killing Frenzy!"'
event_kill $streak=15 'say * "$name - Running Riot!"'
event_kill $streak=20 'say * "$name - Rampage!"'
event_kill $streak=25 'say * "$name - Untouchable!"'
event_kill $combo=3 'say * "$name - Triple Kill!"'
event_kill $combo=4 'say * "$name - Overkill!"'
event_kill $combo=5 'say * "$name - Killtacular!"'
event_kill $combo=6 'say * "$name - Killtrocity!"'
event_kill $combo=7 'say * "$name - Killimanjaro!"'
event_kill $combo=8 'say * "$name - Killtastrophe!"'
event_kill $combo=9 'say * "$name - Killapocalypse!"'
event_kill $combo=10 'say * "$name - Killionaire!"'
event_alive 'mag $n 32000;battery $n 100;nades $n 4'

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, DevCysera said:

event_join 'w8 30;say * "Map skipping is enabled! Type SKIP to vote to skip this map!"'
event_join 'w8 40;say * "Votekick is enabled! If there are any unruly players just /votekick them!"'
event_join 'w8 50;say * "You spawn with two random weapons every spawn!"'
event_join 'w8 60;say * "We are Rank #100 on Game Tracker, let's keep up the great work!"'

You are using "say *" instead of "say $n" which results in all players being sent the message when the player joins rather than the joining player.

If you want to send things periodically, you could use a custom command which will send a series of messages, one message being sent every 20 seconds or so, then have it execute itself at the end. You then execute this custom command in your SAPP init.txt. Alternatively, there is a script for that.

17 minutes ago, DevCysera said:

Okay, how do I switch them over to login admins?

If you need help with SAPP, I suggest referring to the SAPP documentation. Look for "Name and Password based Admin Management" in the Google Docs link (newer) or "v2" in the pdf (older).

But to save you time, here is the syntax:

admin_add <player expr>  <password> <level> 

Also be sure to remove your existing admins by listing them with

admins

and remove them with

admindel <index>

Password based admins log in using /login <password> in the chat upon joining.

Edited by Kavawuvi
wrong admin deletion command
Sunstriker7 likes this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

competent.png

One other question I had, when I use an Xbox One controller to play campaign missions or firefight the game freezes up and says gathering exception data. Can you not use Xbox One controllers to play campaign missions or firefight? I just wanted to know. Thanks very much!