Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krazychic

Halo Infinite - PC and X-box exclusive

15 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, Skeezix the Cat said:

They won't.  Trust me they won't.  It has almost nothing to do with whether or not the port of the game itself runs well and is relatively bug free.  I mean that's a factor, same as with any game but the fact that it's UWP is an auto loss.  I'm sure it'll work for 60% of people and they'll say "I haven't had any problems.  I'm fine with it tbh".  The shit I dug through and messed with involving the store is vast.  It is a convoluted, awful system with horrible control over what happens and why, errors are cryptic and useless, "fixes" rarely do anything, and so on.  I pray that when I get this game that I'm one of the lucky ones that can pass the UWP test and go on to see if the game itself is well functioning.

Most of the time, the stuff I play on the UWP store works perfectly fine. Minecraft for Windows 10, for instance, is very fast and seems to be quite efficient, too. Halo 5 Forge is mostly stable (mostly - it's still buggy, unoptimized, and feature incomplete, and it sometimes crashes). However, other people get stuttering issues, driver crashes, application crashes, slowdowns, and the application not opening despite the PC exceeding the minimum and probably even the recommended specifications. I've even had to reinstall games before, myself, even when they were working fine minutes ago, as they'd stop opening and a restart would do nothing.

And yeah, I'm also concerned that the fact it's a UWP exclusive will mean it will be dead on arrival. Not only will Halo 6 inherit all of these UWP issues, but it will be limited to Windows 10. More people are using Windows 10 than before, sure, but it's still going to greatly limit its reach.

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

competent.png

On 6/13/2018 at 8:37 AM, Kavawuvi said:

Most of the time, the stuff I play on the UWP store works perfectly fine. Minecraft for Windows 10, for instance, is very fast and seems to be quite efficient, too. Halo 5 Forge is mostly stable (mostly - it's still buggy, unoptimized, and feature incomplete, and it sometimes crashes). However, other people get stuttering issues, driver crashes, application crashes, slowdowns, and the application not opening despite the PC exceeding the minimum and probably even the recommended specifications. I've even had to reinstall games before, myself, even when they were working fine minutes ago, as they'd stop opening and a restart would do nothing.

And yeah, I'm also concerned that the fact it's a UWP exclusive will mean it will be dead on arrival. Not only will Halo 6 inherit all of these UWP issues, but it will be limited to Windows 10. More people are using Windows 10 than before, sure, but it's still going to greatly limit its reach.

And then, as per-usual, they'll blame the fans. Probably also say some nonsense about Halo being "unfit" for PC or some shit, as well.

Founder and current project lead of the TiaraCE project.

2 hours ago, ST34MF0X said:

And then, as per-usual, they'll blame the fans. Probably also say some nonsense about Halo being "unfit" for PC or some shit, as well.

Yeah, and honestly, I'm not sure there will ever be a Halo FPS where Microsoft won't gimp it in some way on the PC version.

ST34MF0X likes this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

competent.png

Exactly this. It's what they use to push their xbox sales.

Kavawuvi: one of these days these glutes are gonna squawk all over you

On 6/17/2018 at 11:31 AM, Sunstriker7 said:

Exactly this. It's what they use to push their xbox sales.

I've read some other discussions on the whole play anywhere feature and I don't think they're pushing UWP with the intention of it being bad to herd people to xbox.  It really seems like they have shifted gears a little since the early xbox one days where it was all about the console and getting people to use it.  Now it's more about having a large ecosystem that can target more people easily than it would be with just the xbox.  For example, all us diehard PC gaymers are on PC because we like it.  To get us to buy xboxes, they have to either do the usual exclusive nonsense and hope we'll just give in (but be bitter about it) OR they could cash in on the fact that Windows is a brand they own just as much as Xbox, if not more so.  Either way, the money is there and this is a path of least resistance sort of approach where they just give us what we want for once and whaddya know, we throw money at them.

The downside is they're not putting nearly as much effort into this approach as they could be because they don't need to.  UWP sucks flaccid peepee.  Everybody knows it.  But the fact that yeah, it CAN work means that we do have the option to play on Windows and give them money or we can play on xbox and still give them money.  And going out of their way to make UWP not suck flaccid peepee is realistically not going to increase xbox OR windows sales so...why bother?  I feel like this turned into a bit of a tinfoil rant here at the end but I stand by it.

Sunstriker7 likes this

oVoXWXc.png