Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShikuTeshi

PC stalled/black screened

Posted (edited)

I've never experienced this before. I was simply streaming today for ~5 hours, nothing unusual like my past couple of days. All of a sudden my PC decides to go black. No BSoD, stream froze, monitors couldn't pick up a video signal, so I had to force power down my PC and restart it.

Windows Update wasn't the cause. The last time it ran was a month ago. It could've been video card or video drivers alone since I was streaming using NVENC encoder.

But has anyone else experienced this problem before and was able to diagnose the issue? It would be a great help. Right now I'm thinking a driver mishap or GPU gone wrong. And I'm hoping it's not the former because I can't afford a replacement. Especially with the current market.

Edited by ShikuTeshi

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Funnily I had this happen on one of my PC's today. I'm not sure what happened, it was when I started halo and it was the same black screen with no signal on my monitor and the system seemed hung.

Might have been a bug a recent windows update? I have never had this issue before.

I generally only encounter this when overclocking, with both CPU and GPU instability. Try a stress test?

GPU driver update is always a good start, too.

dual.png

6 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

I generally only encounter this when overclocking, with both CPU and GPU instability. Try a stress test?

Besides this, the only real thing you can do is wait and see if it even happens again. Every now and then my comp does some weird stuff but it never repeats and has no obvious cause. Trips me out big time. It's the ghost in the machine.

Kavawuvi: one of these days these glutes are gonna squawk all over you

15 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

My GPU is overclocked. But it never had an issue or created any artifacts when I tested it way back.

I basically upped it to the recommended max in the Asus OC tool without increasing the power limit and it was stable. I've raised it from 100% to 120% power limit. My system never goes above 75c under synthetic load so I don't think I'm going to have to worry about heat in real world usage.

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

9 hours ago, ShikuTeshi said:

My GPU is overclocked. But it never had an issue or created any artifacts when I tested it way back.

I basically upped it to the recommended max in the Asus OC tool without increasing the power limit and it was stable. I've raised it from 100% to 120% power limit. My system never goes above 75c under synthetic load so I don't think I'm going to have to worry about heat in real world usage.

I wouldnt rule it out until youve tested again. Just because it tested stable before doesn't mean it'll remain stable long term, and temps aren't the only cause of instability. It's probably not the GPU, but you should try ruling it out anyway.

dual.png