Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

bigblue

Banlist and Aliases

Just a quick question. Looking through my server structure (Elite Game Servers) - I can't see the banlist or alias text files, just the server log is there. Where are they stored ? Players have been successfully banned and I have 'collect_aliases' enabled in the sapp init file and able to do alias checks ok, but I still can't find where those files are ? Anyone any ideas ?

Edited by bigblue

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Aliases are going to be stored in your sapp folder.

As for where your banlist file is, try using sv_banlist_file.

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:4
competent.png

Ok.. found the aliases file - but the file is empty with no entries - even though if I check aliases ingame, it shows them ??

Checked for the banlist file with sv_banlist_file - it showed it located in the gametypes folder - but checking on the server it's not visible ??

Did a test.. did a ban using 'b <playerid>' - then entered 'bans' to get the id to unban with 'sv_unban' but it said 'ban file not found' - even though the ban was recorded ? Checked again with sv_banlist_file - it said it was in the gametypes folder - checked and it's not there ? I've run out of ideas now.. any help appreciated.

You need to create a banned.txt file in gametypes > SAPP

Just test it with a /b in game and check that the file size increases and/or the ban gets written to it.

The aliases file only collects valid CD Key aliases - so may well stay pretty empty.

Thx, I've added a banned.txt file. Any bans handed out appear to work ok.  I tested aliases by changing my name a few times and joining the server, and afterwards checking with alias showed all those names ok. But.. on checking the banned and alias files on the server, they were both still empty ?

When I restarted the server, the ban was removed and all the aliases also. So it seems that for some reason bans and aliases are not being recorded - and last only for the server's session time until it's restarted.

Note that I have 'collect_aliases' enabled in the sapp init.

I think I may have to re-install the server again, something's definitely not right. :(

Try the same process but add the banned.txt just to the  gametype folder (not the SAPP folder you tried last time).

Failing that, try adding it to the top level SAPP folder - where the ipbans.txt etc are.

I had exactly the same issue and this fixed it.

Edited by Weyland

The banned.txt file should be located in the gametypes folder - if it's not then it can't be found using the sapp command: 'bans' nor the halo command: 'sv_banlist'

I tried using: ub <indexid> to unban and it seems to be a valid command (double checked with 'usage ub' and it appears to be the case)- even though this command isn't listed anywhere in any sapp documentation.

As 'b', 'ub' and 'bans' are sapp commands I'm wondering if they use the stock halo banned.txt file - or is the ban info stored somewhere else ?

I still have no idea why aliases aren't being recorded in the alias.txt file (located in the sapp folder) - even though I have collect_aliases enabled ?

Testing last night - had an admin ban me using the sapp command 'b <playerid> and then checking the banlist to see if I was showing on there.

- Using the sapp command 'bans' showed an empty list - using the halo sv_banlist command showed me on the list.

- Checked the banned.txt file on the server and it was empty.. even though sv_banlist showed me on there ?

Tried unbanning me with the sapp command 'ub <indexid>' but was still banned and unable to join the server. Tried unbanning with 'sv_unban <indexid>' and it worked.

Also, if the server is restarted, then the ban is removed.

Main questions now are:

1. What are the benefits of using the sapp ban commands as opposed to the standard Halo ban commands ?

2. Should I use the sapp ban commands - or the Halo ban commands ? It seems that some sapp commands work and some don't.

3. Why are bans not being written to the banned file ?

But for now, I've re-installed the server as it's clearly not working right - and will setup and retest again - more updates on progress later.

Edited by bigblue