What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Weyland

Server hosting recommendations

Hi,

If you have any recommendations for server hosting please reply.

Particularly picks for hosted services other than elitegameservers - their service has been fine  - it's just we're looking for something with DDOS protection in Asia Pacific or US West locations.

Or any advice on whether it's better going the DIY route and installing on a standard hosted server - so then VM vs dedicated etc?

Thanks

Tiddy-bits:

So thanks to 002s chart I just found out that my digital ocean server recently had it's memory doubled and space increased by 5 gigs.

Hell yes.

Also, would recommend digital ocean hands down unless you're allergic to a terminal.

27 minutes ago, Sunstriker7 said:

So thanks to 002s chart I just found out that my digital ocean server recently had it's memory doubled and space increased by 5 gigs.

Hell yes.

Also, would recommend digital ocean hands down unless you're allergic to a terminal.

Yeah I was a little surprised when making this. Their lowest-end server was only 512 MB for a while I think.

Digital Ocean is about the same as most other VPS providers I've used in terms of usability, though Digital Ocean lets you deploy VPSes en masse.

Thanks for the replies so far WaeV and Sunstriker7- and for sharing that chart 002 - great to have an at a glance comparison.

Yeah, I'm only really interested in running two Halo Combat Evolved games, so my issue with elitegameservers is not so much the cost, but their limited DDOS protected locations (Canada, France and Germany)

We've had a couple of complete winners DDOS'ing the tits off us this week, so out of interest I tried moving location from California to Frankfurt. 

Unsurprisingly ping went through the roof for most players so I moved them back a day later.

I'm pretty confident with configuring the server init.txt and SAPP init.txt - and I have a bunch of lua scripts and events running on my current elitegameservers - although I don't have any experience with the command line - but not afraid to jump in though.

I had just planned to fnagle Bungie's Halo Dedicated Server instructions here until I managed to make something fly.

But from what you guys are saying it sounds more involved?

Does anyone have a link or guide to setting up a dedicated server on a VPS/VDS?

Cheers

Giving recommendations in response to my own ask for recommendations - steer clear of YardVPS - also known as PhotonVPS also known as Profuse Solutions INC.

'Jimmy' who's VP of Operations at each company seems more interested in commando rolling around the office nerfing new customers if their DSLAM exchange IP location is more than a kilometer away from their physical billing address.

Complete door knobs.

2 hours ago, Weyland said:

But from what you guys are saying it sounds more involved?

Does anyone have a link or guide to setting up a dedicated server on a VPS/VDS?

The only one I have experience with is Digital Ocean, and I've never had a problem with them.

As far as a guide goes, pretty much any VPS you use will use some form of Linux, often times an OS/Distro of your choice. So any guide that will work with your selected distro should get you there.

Just some quick googling brought these up:

http://rossholdway.com/blog/halo-dedicated-server-on-linux-ubuntu

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/82841d11296340069f6b8e3ccbfcee11/topics/how-to-run-halo-pc-on-gnu-linux/080c3506-5439-4fbd-a09a-bb142336ef3b/posts

Weyland and WaeV like this