Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Krazychic

Same-sex marriage vote: Four 'no' votes in historic decision

151264682711209.jpg

Same-Sex marriage has passed the House of Representatives, with all but four MPs sitting on the opposite site of the chamber for the final count.

Spoiler

Although Australia’s postal vote resulted in a resounding win for the ‘Yes’ vote, members of Parliament were not legally obligated to follow that decision.

Outspoken Queenslander Bob Katter — who earlier in the day argued same-sex couples were trying to “steal” the word ‘gay’ — was joined by Hinkler MP Keith Pitt, Maranoa MP David Littleproud and McMillan MP Russell Broadbent as the only members of the lower house not to vote ‘Yes’.

Mr Pitt released a statement declaring his vote was not “for or against same-sex marriage”, but instead about the bill.

“The debate today was about the bill and its details. I supported a range of amendments which I believed would have improved the bill, but the final legislation was put without these amendments included.

“I was aware of the opportunity to abstain from the vote today, but in this place I believe you should always have the courage of your convictions.”

Earlier in the day, Mr Katter made his feelings on the matter crystal clear.

“L-G-B-Ts, whatever the hell it is ... I have no idea what it is ... you’ll probably change it,” he said.

“I refuse to use the word g-a-y.”

The member for Kennedy said gay people have “an inflated opinion” of themselves and that “the rest of the world would agree”. He then accused the LGBTI community of stealing the word “gay” before reading out the alternative definition of the word: ‘Beautiful, light, happy and ethereal”.

The House of Representatives has not confirmed the number of MPs who voted yes or abstained, as this is “standard practice” when there are fewer than five “no” votes, it confirmed.

However it’s believed Tony Abbott, Andrew Hastie, Michael Sukkar, Kevin Andrews, Scott Morrison, Alex Hawke and George Christensen abstained from voting, The Australian reports.

Source

Badga666 and ST34MF0X like this

Rumors are carried by haters
Spread by fools
and
Accepted by idiots

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

What I still don't get is why people are so against other's beliefs that they would go out of their way to vote no on such a wonderful thing! Everyone should be able to live happily with their orientation regardless of others opinions/beliefs. And the fact it took so long for it to pass, just goes to show how fucked our "Modern Society" is. But congrats to the LGBTIQ community of good ole Oz.

P.S - I now have multiple gay weddings I have been invited to, and one where I'm best man/Maid of Honor/horror.

Krazychic likes this

"It's massive. Probably hard to tell from the picture.                                 "If you're up for it. You've done it before, right?"           

But it broke so now I'm using a puny one..." - ShikuTeshi 2017                                                                          -Tucker933 2017

I think a lot of the 'NO' voters were against the idea of it being called a marriage and felt it should be called a 'union' or similar.

Badga666 likes this

Spread by fools
and
Accepted by idiots

I can understand it from that point of view, but where's the equality in that?

Sceny likes this

"It's massive. Probably hard to tell from the picture.                                 "If you're up for it. You've done it before, right?"           

But it broke so now I'm using a puny one..." - ShikuTeshi 2017                                                                          -Tucker933 2017

Equality being they have the same rights as a married opposite sex couple but 'protect' the religious beliefs maybe. Idk.

Badga666 likes this

Spread by fools
and
Accepted by idiots

In my opinion, religion and homosexuality should be somewhat "segregated" from each other, all religion does is preach constantly that homosexuality is a sin, while the LGBTIQ community just want to be left to do what they will. And I'm quite frankly fed up with people pushing their beliefs upon me, I have absolutely no bias against the church, but when I get the good ole missionaries banging my door down wanting to tell me about Jesus, I get genuinely angry about it, I have never once had a homosexual individual even attempt to force their ways upon me (aside from the hilarious gay friends I have fuckin' around for comedy's sake).  I would be more than happy if my religious and homo friends could just hang out in the same room for five goddamn minutes without a giant argument breaking out, it's truly unsettling. And I don't want to have to organise two separate days/times to hang out with my mates just because their ways of life butt heads, it is truly a ridiculous debacle.

*RANT OVER*

Krazychic likes this

Don't preach to me, don't try and turn me and I couldn't care what you are as long as you treat me with the same respect I treat you.

Badga666 and Sceny like this

Spread by fools
and
Accepted by idiots

7 hours ago, Krazychic said:

Don't preach to me, don't try and turn me and I couldn't care what you are as long as you treat me with the same respect I treat you.

That's basically how I view it.