Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Badga666

Aussies are being ripped off more than ever before, study shows

151225428045842.jpg

More than a million Aussie workers are being ripped off by their employers, according to a shocking new report into wage theft.

Spoiler

A bleak new report shows one-in-10 working Australians — more than a million of us — rarely or never receive the minimum wage from our employers.

The findings from workforce management software provider, Kronos, found almost half of Australians said they are not always paid for work carried outside of their shift hours including meetings and training and 11 per cent said their pay does not accurately correspond to the hours worked.

“It’s disappointing to learn, that even in today’s mature economy, a large number of Australians are being exploited in the workplace — at a time when wage growth is slow and many people are working harder than ever,” said Peter Harte, managing director of Kronos ANZ.

“The practice is also illegal with significant penalty rates for those businesses found to breach regulations.”

According to the report, 43 per cent of Australians said, during the course of their working life, they had worked for an Australian employer who paid them less than the minimum wage.

More than 15 per cent said they were aware of situations where they were paid differently to their short-changed migrant colleague and a quarter have been paid cash in hand to avoid paying tax.

“The situation is not ideal for building the thriving and intelligent economy Australia needs to compete in the international marketplace,” said Harte.

“Given the complexity of workplace regulations and the changes that can occur annually, we understand it is not always easy for businesses to keep up to date.”

One of the worst sectors for wage theft is hospitality — as experts say the industry is “a recipe for exploitation”.

Shine Lawyers employment law expert Will Barsby said when people didn’t know their rights, some employers were all too willing to take advantage.

“In hospitality, workers are not really strongly unionised compared to other industries. Whether it’s a big, small or medium business, the most common worker is young, unskilled or a migrant so really it’s a hotpot for exploitation,” he said.

“When you put all these things in the mix, people aren’t aware of their rights — people are desperate to work, and it’s a recipe for exploitation.

“Underpayment is definitely an issue. I see reports of these cases daily, particularly in backpacker centres in far north Queensland and also in CBD locations in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

“It comes down to the fact that these people are vulnerable, because working might be a condition of their visa, or they are travelling and need money, or they’re young and unskilled and unfortunately it continues to be a problem.”

Backpackers are also hit hard when it comes to being ripped off at work.

Bleak findings, released by UNSW Sydney and UTS last week, show a third of backpackers and international students are paid half the legal minimum wage.

Its authors said the results show what many already suspected — that the problem of exploitation of workers from overseas was “endemic and severe”.

“We’ve all heard stories of backpackers and international students being exploited, but we’ve never really known how far it goes,” said Laurie Berg, a senior law lecturer at UTS.

“We have a really large silent underclass of invisible temporary workers who are being paid well below the minimum wage.”

Ms Berg, who co-authored the report with Bassina Farbenblum, a senior law lecturer at UNSW Sydney, said 15 per cent of fruit and vegetable pickers were being paid less than $5 an hour.

“We also received indicators of much more serious exploitation which indicate criminal forced labour, for example,” she said. “And we have a substantial amount of people working in really exploitative conditions.

“For instance paying for a deposit upfront for their job, having their passport confiscated by an employer and having to pay cash back to their employer after receiving their wage. This is most prevalent in food services and in horticulture.”

Source

002 likes this

"It's massive. Probably hard to tell from the picture.                                 "If you're up for it. You've done it before, right?"           

But it broke so now I'm using a puny one..." - ShikuTeshi 2017                                                                          -Tucker933 2017

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

1 hour ago, Skeezix the Cat said:

Probably those fuckin' Kiwis' faults.

I see zero flaws in your argument and must therefore agree.

Skeezix the Cat and Tucker933 like this

"It's massive. Probably hard to tell from the picture.                                 "If you're up for it. You've done it before, right?"           

But it broke so now I'm using a puny one..." - ShikuTeshi 2017                                                                          -Tucker933 2017

7 hours ago, Badga666 said:

I see zero flaws in your argument and must therefore agree.

I think Tucker might be one of them.  I mean, how much do you get paid for these articles?  Probably less than your average walmart employee!

Badga666 likes this

oVoXWXc.png

Just now, Skeezix the Cat said:

I think Tucker might be one of them.  I mean, how much do you get paid for these articles?  Probably less than your average walmart employee!

I think you might be on to something... If I disappear all of a sudden assume Tucker is responsible.

Sceny and Skeezix the Cat like this

6 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

BACK TO WORK, AUSIE.

That's it! I'm going on strike.