Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tucker933

SpaceX will attempt to launch a red Tesla Roadster to the red planet

14 posts in this topic

Obviously there are "sillier" things to launch, like an equivalent weight in dildos, or several hundred (thousand?) copies of Shrek 2 on DVD.  But I think it's more powerful to send the car.  It isn't just silly, but it proves a point.  "look how good we are at space travel!  We're sending a car to mars!"  And the nifty thing is, technically wouldn't the car function on Mars provided it had a few solar panels on it?

Tucker933 likes this

oVoXWXc.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

8 hours ago, Skeezix the Cat said:

And the nifty thing is, technically wouldn't the car function on Mars provided it had a few solar panels on it?

Nope. Its electronics aren't radiation hardened; they won't even survive the journey there.

elo-thnk.png

16 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

Nope. Its electronics aren't radiation hardened; they won't even survive the journey there.

Ahh yeah I knew it couldn't be that simple.  Darn.  I was imagining Curiosity getting a sick new ride.  He'd pick up all the martian bitches in one of those things

Tucker933 likes this

oVoXWXc.png

On 12/2/2017 at 6:31 PM, Anthony said:

I was meaning that, a tesla car isnt really that dumb of a thing to send up, if we reach the point where we colonize mars someone would recover it as a museum piece, a record of what it took to get there, part of its history. Not really that silly or dumb if you think about it. thus why i suggested 80 crates full of monopoly board games.

I'd imagine that they'd keep it in orbit. Would be idiotic to take it down to be showcased in a museum. It would be a part of history that would continue to do what it did to make history for a verrrrrrry  long time.

Tucker933 likes this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002