What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Krazychic

Blender

13 posts in this topic

Not sure if you guys and gals have heard of this or use this already but a friend linked me earlier tonight. I don't know much about it but thought it may be of use to someone here at least for whatever purpose.

Blender is the free and open source 3D creation suite. It supports the entirety of the 3D pipeline—modeling, rigging, animation, simulation, rendering, compositing and motion tracking, even video editing and game creation.

Blender

WaeV likes this

Tiddy-bits:

Yeah Blender has been around forever. It's been a few years since I've used it. Last I used it the UI is a royal pain to get the hang of because it's kind of counterintuitive. It's a very powerful suite though.

Krazychic likes this

I feel like Blender has come a long way. 3DS Max used to be the king of 3D modeling and animation, but Blender is pretty comparable once you learn your way around the tool sets. At that point it's really your dedication to what you're working on that determines the output.

DiSiAC likes this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

25 minutes ago, Krazychic said:

So I was thinking on getting this for my daughter as she is all arty farty n stuff.  Would you recommend it or would there be a better program suited?

For your daughter if she is just getting into it, yes. 3DS Max and other products are expensive. GIMP (Free), Krita (Free) and PaintTool SAI (Paid) are also good alternatives to Photoshop.

Krazychic likes this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

On 11/26/2017 at 6:37 PM, Krazychic said:

So I was thinking on getting this for my daughter as she is all arty farty n stuff.  Would you recommend it or would there be a better program suited?

My first foray into modeling was with Blender version 2.4something over ten years ago when I was probably 14, and it was a pretty gentle entry. I believe it's probably easier to learn modeling with Blender first because they have always had amazing documentation and lots of tutorials. Besides, autodesk stuff is expensive, like Solaris said. When they get better, it's easy to transition to 3ds max or maya because they'll already have a grasp of what's going on.

Krazychic likes this

On 11/28/2017 at 7:47 PM, Krazychic said:

Thanks for the replies.  I will introduce it to her :)

Well, where’s the update on your daughters progress? I want to fucking know how rad she is.

Sunstriker7 likes this