Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ST34MF0X

Questions and Answers

12 posts in this topic

Please read the FAQ before posting a question in this topic.

I will do my best to answer any questions you might have regarding TiaraCE and the project as a whole. 

Takka933 likes this

Founder and current project lead of the TiaraCE project.

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

With this application, would it be possible to do things such as implement new render features & functions, as this is all open source? Or will it all be taken right from CE? If it is possible, what would the limitations be on the map-file end? As far as bitmaps go would it be limited to what we can already use? Or would it be possible to make the new program understand custom shader passes/effects? (E.g. normal maps, or possibly parallax mapping on environments if someone were to put enough time into it. Hell, if someone was talented and patient enough, maybe even a global realtime lighting system?)

ST34MF0X likes this

16 minutes ago, Vuthakral said:

With this application, would it be possible to do things such as implement new render features & functions, as this is all open source? Or will it all be taken right from CE? If it is possible, what would the limitations be on the map-file end? As far as bitmaps go would it be limited to what we can already use? Or would it be possible to make the new program understand custom shader passes/effects? (E.g. normal maps, or possibly parallax mapping on environments if someone were to put enough time into it. Hell, if someone was talented and patient enough, maybe even a global realtime lighting system?)

Excellent questions.

Yes, new shaders and materials will be possible in TiaraCE through GLSL and a shader preset system, soon after the release of TiaraCE v.1.0. This would allow for enhancing the look of existing maps without necessarily editing the maps themselves, although you could if you wanted to. Some of the bugs and development oversights like the way flashlights and fog volumes worked will likely be corrected before the 1.0 release.

As for bitmaps, it will be possible to use PNG, TGA, JPG, and BMP format images in TCE maps. Because of this, things like normal maps, specular maps, and alpha masks could be done in-engine thanks to the aforementioned shader system.

These are just some of our plans for the TiaraCE client. However, it is important to note that we are starting with the core engine and dedicated server (v.0.9), as those are easier to implement, and much of the code used will be used to create the client. Basically, once we have the first two, the client will take far less time to develop, since most of the work will be done by that point.

Edited by ST34MF0X

Thanks for the quick answer, and it's good to know you have a workflow set up.

One more question I just now thought of, As this is an open-sourced client, does this mean it's entirely possible people will be able to make maps or functions only able to be run on a custom build of the client? I'm just worried something like this could cause a split similar to what we saw with Opensauce.

ST34MF0X likes this

39 minutes ago, Vuthakral said:

Thanks for the quick answer, and it's good to know you have a workflow set up.

One more question I just now thought of, As this is an open-sourced client, does this mean it's entirely possible people will be able to make maps or functions only able to be run on a custom build of the client? I'm just worried something like this could cause a split similar to what we saw with Opensauce.

Glad to be of help. 

We aim to keep backwards compatibility in our engine. People should refrain from creating forks that use non-standard features and instead should make feature requests or pull requests to the official repository.

If somebody creates these non-standard custom branches anyway, one should be warned to use them at their own risk.

Edited by ST34MF0X
Vuthakral likes this

Was interested in how much progress you guys had made so I took a quick look at your repo. Its quite empty, is that it so far or have you guys just not committed anything?

10 hours ago, Kru said:

Was interested in how much progress you guys had made so I took a quick look at your repo. Its quite empty, is that it so far or have you guys just not committed anything?

We cannot simply make random code and expect it to work exactly like the original engine. It takes a lot of research and reverse-engineering work and documentation to start on any code whatsoever. As of the time of typing this response, we are still in the research stage. Some initial code, like the map parser, is stored in separate repositories until such a time that the code is ready to be added to the main repo.

The good news is that we are getting closer every day to having the documentation we need to actually start on the majority of the engine's code. Be patient, and we will start the long process of populating the repo with usable code. 

TL:DR: We are making lots of progress in the research department, which we need in order to develop. It's all behind the scenes, right now.

To see just how much has to be researched for a project like this, have a look at the roadmap. Almost everything marked "TODO" is still in the process of being researched.

Edited by ST34MF0X
Skeezix the Cat likes this

So as far as modding existing maps go, would everything be done similarly to regular Custom Edition?  How about exception errors?  I'd imagine they would still be a thing because any engine can be broken, but would it be possible to get more information on what exactly is going wrong?

ST34MF0X likes this

oVoXWXc.png

22 hours ago, Skeezix the Cat said:

So as far as modding existing maps go, would everything be done similarly to regular Custom Edition?  How about exception errors?  I'd imagine they would still be a thing because any engine can be broken, but would it be possible to get more information on what exactly is going wrong?

Great questions! 

Yes, the editing will be somewhat similar to how things already worked, but just a bit more streamlined and less limited. As for exceptions 002 has already implemented far better exception handling than stock Halo CE has. Basically, if you were playing using the client and an exception occurs, the game will jump to the UI map instead of outright crashing. 

Skeezix the Cat likes this

On 11/27/2017 at 8:55 AM, Skeezix the Cat said:

Stock Halo crashes when it gets a segmentation fault due to a broken map. This is easy to happen with Halo because it trusts that the map isn't broken and that everything maps perfectly in memory (hence the name "cache file"). I understand this gets to be a broken system when you start throwing in modding.

One of the goals with the map parser is to prevent segmentation faults from occurring. Therefore, it will not map the cache files to memory but interpret pointers into offsets. This is a lot slower, but it's also a lot safer, because access violations can be handled before they would have begun. Therefore, if a map would normally crash or not load properly, TiaraCE can simply handle the error, then clean everything up and quit to the main menu rather than crash.

Some exception errors may not be more useful than just saying the type of exception, but some errors, such as the TiaraReflexiveChunkOutOfBounds error which occurs when trying to access an invalid chunk, may be able to provide information about what tag was improperly accessed, which TiaraCE can then output into an error log while it's handling the error.

ST34MF0X and Skeezix the Cat like this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

competent.png