What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PopeTX28

Need some help with adopting a modeling style

Best Architecture Poll:   11 members have voted

15 posts in this topic

I chose it primarily based on vehicle design. And as far vehicle design went, Halo 3 made amazing use of their lighting engine with their vehicles. Ghosts and Phantoms in particular are just gorgeous in Halo 3. Covenant cruisers also in the times where you see them up close like on Tsavo Highway. Even though they are basically identical to their Halo 2 counterparts, it's the lighting effects that sold them in a much more glorious way.

Takka and WaeV like this

Tiddy-bits:

21 hours ago, PopeTX28 said:

I'm actually surprised by the fact that Halo 3 is favored for Covenant architecture. There weren't a lot of maps that had covenant architecture for Halo 3 that I'm aware of. The only multiplayer ones I can think of are Assembly and Snowbound, which are good. But as far as singleplayer, most of the covenant architecture was underneath flood biomass (Cortana mission).

The Halo 3 Covenant style to me was the best because it felt like a very natural and fluent mix of what made the Halo 1 and 2 styles good on their own, and brought them together. As we're discussion the art style, all fields go. The way the lighting reflects off the curvy armour while also still showing it's edges is damn near perfect, same goes for stuff like the ghosts, wraiths and banshees. The shaders on them are just amazing. Texture job I'm sure would look a lot better pre-compression (Because oh god are Halo 3's textures compressed to hell). Anyways, I've attached images below of some examples of what I mean, especially on the environments you can really pick out the where Halo 1 and 2 took influence in their design.  Edit: Site screwed up my spoiler formatting. Thanks, I guess? It threw the elite and wraith pictures under the "Heretic" section for some reason.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Assembly_(level)

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Heretic_(level)

Heretic:

Spoiler

hTWwpPY.jpg

7kuQT37.jpg

H3_Heretic04.jpg

Assembly:

Spoiler

y9hprrn.jpg

lORudgv.jpg

Misc:

Spoiler

PnxVF1M.jpg

o1ycmfp.jpg

17 minutes ago, Vuthakral said:

Texture job I'm sure would look a lot better pre-compression (Because oh god are Halo 3's textures compressed to hell). Anyways, I've attached images below of some examples of what I mean, [...].

H3_MP_Assembly_ENV-02-1-.jpg

H3ODST_Heretic_env-01.jpg

m8... :P

1 hour ago, tarikja said:

m8... :P

Oh for FU- ugh... They looked fine earlier because of the fact those images are wiki hosted. I opened them in google images first so my browser probably cached the full resolution version, but since wiki likes to screw over people hotlinking (understandably but it doesn't make it any less annoying), anyone who hadnt seen the image directly first gets handed a super low res version. Fixed.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0