What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krazychic

North Korea nuclear weapons: Iran may have helped rogue state, Britain fears

150522211568507.jpg

Iran may have been secretly helping North Korea rapidly advance its nuclear weapons program, it has emerged.

Spoiler

The UK Foreign Office is investigating whether the secretive state has received help in developing this technology.

UK media site The Telegraph reported the British Government is looking at whether “current and former nuclear states” have been assisting Pyongyang in its nuclear ambitions. Iran is at the top of the suspects list.

North Korea claimed it successfully tested a hydrogen bomb ready to be mounted on an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) on September 3.

This has led many to speculate North Korea has had help from at least one other country.

A Whitehall source told The Telegraph there is no way North Korean scientists could have got to this point by themselves.

“North Korean scientists are people of some ability, but clearly they’re not doing it entirely in a vacuum,” a government minister said.

International Security expert and Intelligence Studies and director of ANU’s Southeast Asia Institute Professor John Blaxland told news.com.au it was possible Iran has been helping Pyongyang.

“There have been stories circulating of Iranian technical support over a number of years and while this story is not easy to corroborate, it is certainly plausible,” he said.

Nuclear disarmament campaigner John Hallam said there were a few countries, including Iran, which could be among those helping North Korea.

“There has been collaboration over missile technology, but not to my knowledge over weapons design, for decades,” he said.

“Much of Iran’s missile technology has been, or once was, North Korean.”

Mr Hallam said he believed the collaboration between North Korea and Pakistan deserved more attention.

“Iran wouldn’t have much to offer the DPRK in terms of weapons design, but Pakistan would have had a great deal to offer, at least in terms of miniaturised uranium warheads, which form the mainstay of Pakistan’s nuclear forces,” he said.

Mr Hallam also said if Iran really wanted to obtain nuclear weapons it would have managed to do so 15-20 years ago.

“So Iran would certainly have nothing to offer the DPRK in terms of hydrogen bomb technology,” he said.

“They might have had something to offer in terms of enrichment over the years and they might have been helpful in jointly developing missile technology.”

Mr Hallam said it was also possible that Russia could be helping the DPRK.

“They certainly have arguably the world’s best or second best nuclear weapons and missile technology, and they may have been somewhat helpful, but I really doubt that Russia will have slipped them a third generation thermonuclear warhead design,” he said.

“Of course they may have somehow obtained such a design, but they could have done so from any country that had such designs — including the US itself.”

In an interview with news.com.au last week, Australian National University researcher and North Korean expert Leonid Petrov said it was clear North Korea’s scientists were getting help from somewhere.

Dr Petrov said other countries likely to have assisted include Pakistan, Russia and even Ukraine.

News that Iran may be fuelling North Korea’s nuclear ambitions comes as Israel’s minister for intelligence and strategic affairs Yisrael Katz warned Terhan’s own nuclear ambitions must be stopped.

Mr Katz said failed attempts to negotiate with Pyongyang should serve as a lesson in dealing with Iran.

“Iran is the new North Korea,” he said.

“We need to act now so we won’t be sorry tomorrow about what we didn’t do yesterday.”

PYONGYANG PUNISHED

Meanwhile North Korea is set to pay the price for its sixth and most powerful nuclear test.

The United Nations Security Council unanimously stepped up sanctions against Pyongyang, imposing a ban on the country’s textile exports and capping imports of crude oil.

It was the ninth sanctions resolution unanimously adopted by the 15-member council since 2006 over North Korea’s ballistic missile and nuclear programs.

The US watered down an initial tougher draft resolution to win the support of Pyongyang’s main two allies, China and Russia.

Pyongyang warned it will make the United States pay a heavy price if the tough sanctions went ahead.

The North’s Foreign Ministry said it was watching the US closely and threatened it was “ready and willing” to respond with measures of its own.

Last Tuesday, Washington circulated a draft resolution proposing the toughest UN sanctions on North Korea, including a ban on all oil and natural gas exports to the country and a freeze on all foreign financial assets of the government and its leader, Kim Jong-un.

Previous UN sanctions resolutions have been negotiated between the US and China, and have taken weeks or months, however the Trump administration demanded a vote in just six days.

Source

Tiddy-bits:

There was some other article I read today about the FBI investigating a Russian News group based in the USA. They're funded by the Russian Gov.

And some other news about Russian smugglers making deals with North Korea through businesses laundering money through fake business fronts. Something like that. I'm not entirely sure if it's the Russian Gov that's doing this or just people in Russia.

But it was rather obvious that somebody had to be helping North Korea develop their armory. Such an isolated state wouldn't have been able to survive this long like that. Let alone make any kind of major technological advances in such a short time.

Edited by ShikuTeshi

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????
"In the quiet the silence is louder." -My Sister 2021

Nearly everything in Russia is state-owned or is in some way controlled by the state. primarily to prevent insolvency and partly to ensure influence and direct involvement. (The same applies to China in a similar system of partly or wholly government-owned/influenced companies, like NORINCO.)

I wouldn't doubt the Russian's have helped North Korea develop, as well as the Chinese. Both stand to gain immensely from a destabilized Asia, in particular concerning the Yellow Sea and Sea of Japan, in the short and long term. I also have no doubt the Norks would have eventually achieved miniaturization and multi-stage devices in a decade or two, but as ST has pointed out...the Norks advancements are far too rapid for domestic development alone. What took the US (and NATO, in particular the UK and France) over a decade of development and testing, with nearly unlimited resources and the collective brainpower of the most qualified and educated minds in their respective fields in the West, the Norks did in less than a year's time. The only possible conclusion is that the data was provided by a third-party national actor who's had the means and information themselves for decades. As Russian and China are two of the main economic and import partners for the Norks and both hold a long standing relationship with them...they're by far the most likely. 

In regard to Iran, it's been a well established the Iranians have been present at Nork launches and tests. The existence of a mutual assistance partnership in weapons can assuredly be implied. Iran receives a massive amount of military and economic support from Russia and to a point, from China as well. 

Edited by Weps

What worries me is not so much that North Korea has gained or might gain the ability to strike cities on the U.S. mainland but what is probably a much easier goal, to launch an EMP attack on us.

Such an attack if successful would devastate this country and is probably more easily achievable for a country like North Korea or for that matter Iran.

The UK Foreign Office is investigating [...].

This has led many to speculate [...].

[...] it was possible Iran has been helping Pyongyang.

There have been stories circulating [...] while this story is not easy to corroborate, it is certainly plausible,” he said.

[...] there were a few countries, including Iran, which could be among those helping North Korea.

Lot's of maybes, speculations and hot air without saying anything specific. Cool...

Iran wouldn’t have much to offer the DPRK in terms of weapons design [...].

Mr Hallam also said if Iran really wanted to obtain nuclear weapons it would have managed to do so 15-20 years ago.

“So Iran would certainly have nothing to offer the DPRK in terms of hydrogen bomb technology,” he said.

“They might have had something to offer in terms of enrichment over the years and they might have been helpful in jointly developing missile technology.”

So, now Iran isn't helpful to or for NK? Make up your mind, author!

---

[Here comes some part about speculations of Russia's involvement because hey, no story about nuclear weapons is complete without mentioning our beloved bogeyman Russia. But at this point I am already too tired of this vacuous article.]

---

“Iran is the new North Korea,” he said.

“We need to act now so we won’t be sorry tomorrow about what we didn’t do yesterday.”

... yea, enjoy your propaganda...

12 hours ago, Weps said:

I wouldn't doubt the Russian's have helped North Korea develop, as well as the Chinese. Both stand to gain immensely from a destabilized Asia, [...]

I can clearly see RUS/ CHN destabilizing their own region, evilly rubbing their hands, lol.

12 minutes ago, Pra3tor1an said:

Is it me, or does Kim jong un look like he's wearing a blue party hat in that pic?

naw, i think that's just part of his clown ensemble

Takka and Pra3tor1an like this

h2_zpsdpjizr8c.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0