Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Pra3tor1an

Facebook or Twitter?

Ok, so I have uninstalled Facebook from my phone as I have become bored with the bullshit/Negativity and general shite on it. Which brings me to my next question of Twitter. 

I have never used it, so what's it all about? If anyone does use it, what are your thoughts or experience on it? 

8269120180172123489.png

There's not really a big difference. Facebook is a bit more bloated and Twitter has a rather small character limit.

I only use them for keeping up with news, so I get more use out of Facebook. Though there's a few parties that only use Twitter (Elon Musk), which is why I try to keep up with both.

What are you looking to get out of social media?

Pra3tor1an likes this

Facebook is great for personal stuff with friends and family as you have to actually add people to do much with each other. You can have a public profile and follow other public profiles for a live feed, but this takes a pretty distant backseat. This is not even to mention that they've recently gimped the posting of news articles, which is why crediting editors here has been slow this past month, so I'm not certain the manager role will continue to exist for much longer.

I use Twitter to follow public figures and companies to get news, communicate with people (without having to "add" or "follow" them too), commission artists for artwork (my current cover photo on my profile, for instance, I got from someone on Twitter), as well as discuss things publicly, thus others can chime in. I find it to be a lot more versatile than Facebook when it comes to information that isn't about my friends, family, or personal life.

tl;dr - They're for different things. Facebook is what I use to talk with my friends and get news about them (i.e. reading about my friend's experiences in the Navy). Twitter I use to talk with strangers and get news about what I'm interested in (i.e. reading about an AMD product launch).

Pra3tor1an likes this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

competent.png

2 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

What are you looking to get out of social media?

To be honest, I'm not sure anymore. I use Facebook to keep in touch with my Italian side of the family, although I have lots of friends on it also. I will in future check periodically to see of any interesting updates of interest. I mostly ever post silly pics from reddit and stuff so its of little loss to humanity's struggle for survival.

8269120180172123489.png

8 minutes ago, Pra3tor1an said:

To be honest, I'm not sure anymore. I use Facebook to keep in touch with my Italian side of the family, although I have lots of friends on it also. I will in future check periodically to see of any interesting updates of interest. I mostly ever post silly pics from reddit and stuff so its of little loss to humanity's struggle for survival.

Facebook sounds like the best fit then, but of course it really depends on what your friend and family use the most. Twitter is more for getting quick comments out there, and it's not as based on media. As far as I've seen, more people use Facebook, and most on Twitter aren't generating many Tweets (messages); they're mostly just watching established parties/individuals.

Pra3tor1an likes this

Devil's advocate: don't install either app on your phone because they both want all your info; but that's just me being an old stick in the mud.

Pra3tor1an likes this

Umh7x1l.gif

I have neither installed on my phone but I do have the messenger app for keeping up with people purposes. Messaging people is the only reason I still have a Facebook and for twitter... never had one. 

Image result for naruto gifImage result for zabuza gif

I've found Twitter to be worse in a variety of ways. The community is what really turns me off of it. Hashtag hiveminds, witch hunts, 140 character limits, spam and comment bots... everything about the platform just feels like a containment site to target consumers and incite controversy between people.

I recently took a break from Facebook, disabled my account and let that 7-day deletion lapse to start on a clean slate. The trick is keeping the toxic crap out and blocking it when it comes instead of just letting it pile up.

Linux/Unix | InfoSec | Electronics | Radios