Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lambdacomplex

TF2 sourcemod

Well a friend pointed me towards this. It's a sourcemod that strips out all the visual clutter from TF2. Mod's called TF2 Vintage, seems to just be stock TF2 with stuff like airblast and building carry added on ontop of gamemodes that came later in TF2's lifespan. Only reason I'm actually talking about this is valve kinda killed community servers with the only servers really left being gimmick gamemodes like VSH, trade and idle servers and Skial. It looks like they're using a older build of TF2 because the code for things like payload isn't perfect, the HUD relies on the capture point HUD and some things are glitched and bugged like the high res building models causing crashes if destroyed. So far playing it though it's been fun. Nice to play TF2 again and each class feels like they're a bigger part of something and rely on each other. Not to mention I don't have to wade through a sea of really mish-mash hats and whatnot

http://www.moddb.com/mods/team-fortress-2-vintage

12 hours ago, Legion said:

There's actually a fork of TF2 built on (what I assume is) a leak of its early source code that does this, although it has a few things like deathmatch added on top of it.

http://tf2classic.com/

Eh I played that but the devs for classic started doing that "let's make our own content" things and it sounds great but a lot of the stuff is still broken and they claim the broken stuff is "fixed" but you just have to be part of their inner closed beta testing circle. Another thing was there was drama that kinda killed the community when some underage kid ran a server and started banning people left right and center for things like being a furry, liking undertale and other things. Then it turns out he's guilty of the same crap he's banning people for. Then to top it off that inner circle I mentioned got upset when vintage was created. To me classic got soured mainly because they stopped focusing on the "classic" aspect and focusing more and more on their deathmatch mode

Still both are noteworthy in they're trying to do something unique. I just like Vintage a bit more because it's got that "simplistic beauty" with just stock where all the classes actually feel like they work well together

On 8/4/2017 at 3:11 PM, Lambdacomplex said:

Eh I played that but the devs for classic started doing that "let's make our own content" things and it sounds great but a lot of the stuff is still broken and they claim the broken stuff is "fixed" but you just have to be part of their inner closed beta testing circle. Another thing was there was drama that kinda killed the community when some underage kid ran a server and started banning people left right and center for things like being a furry, liking undertale and other things. Then it turns out he's guilty of the same crap he's banning people for. Then to top it off that inner circle I mentioned got upset when vintage was created. To me classic got soured mainly because they stopped focusing on the "classic" aspect and focusing more and more on their deathmatch mode

Still both are noteworthy in they're trying to do something unique. I just like Vintage a bit more because it's got that "simplistic beauty" with just stock where all the classes actually feel like they work well together

i just setup a dedi server up for fun in ireland  TF2  im still working on changing sum of the scripts + its on my home pc 

this is my server link   http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/31.186.39.58:27015/

have fun 

On Saturday, August 05, 2017 at 0:14 PM, gsccon said:

i just setup a dedi server up for fun in ireland  TF2  im still working on changing sum of the scripts + its on my home pc 

this is my server link   http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/31.186.39.58:27015/

have fun 

That's TF2 though isn't it, not vintage?

Seems they're in a rut right now without any coders so they're just focusing on things they can fix in the meantime. They did have a gamenight of sorts and it was fun playing

Seems their randomized still needs work since it doesn't give a new set on respawn and instead you have to visit a resupply cabinet for it.

gsccon likes this