Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Tucker933

Squad

Have any of you tried this game out at all? It's not F2P (which I see as a plus) and it's still in Early Access, but it's quite great at its niche, which is that of a very realistic multiplayer shooter.

Squad is a 50 vs 50 multiplayer first-person shooter that aims to capture combat realism through communication and teamplay. Major features include vehicle-based combined arms gameplay, large scale environments, base building, and integrated positional VoIP for proximity talking & radio.

For gameplay footage, I'd recommend this video, which gets most interesting after about the 10-minute mark.

@002 and I bought the game on Steam to give it a whirl tonight, and while it definitely isn't an easy game, it's a helluva lot of fun and would be awesome if we had more people we knew to play with. OC squad!

buttonspectre likes this

How do you like it so far? My friends played it when it was early access and didn't like it. It kinda reminds me of ARMA except more focused on infantry combat. I might play it if it's good.

Linux/Unix | InfoSec | Electronics | Radios

I've never played Arma, but from what I've seen of it, your description is sound. It's heavily based around squad mechanics as well. You really have to use the voice chat heavily, and the squad leader has a lot of leadership responsibilities, so it's VERY much a team game.

Solaris likes this

It's a pretty fun game. The learning curve doesn't seem so bad, and if you suck at killing, you can at least be medic and heal everyone, because you do get points for that, too.

Maxing out the game (except for motion blur and super sampling) can be a bit hard on my GPU, pegging my 1070 even at 1080p and giving me only around 70-90 FPS on average, but the effects are pretty at least. It's early access, so my guess is there's optimization to do.

Tucker933 likes this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

competent.png

My best score yet:

20170807172527_1.jpg

It's really hard to determine your kills until after the game, because there are no kill indications shown at all, which is much of the fun.

Solaris likes this