Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tucker933

Miscellaneous HPC Development

80 posts in this topic

Members of Open Carnage enjoy an ad-free experience!

I made Halo run at 60 ticks per second. Everything is smooth and not jittery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHNz9QK8svs

Sadly, this isn't worth releasing, for a couple reasons:

• Stock animations are based off of 30 frames per second, and them being played back at 60fps makes everything look awkward. This can be fixed by replacing the animations with 60 frames per second versions, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.
  • SAPP somewhat supports this using the gamespeed command, but it causes network issues. If it can't be played online, it's obviously not worth releasing.

Note: No use of the game_speed command was used. game_speed can cause major issues in campaign maps with scripted vehicles.

Legion, WaeV and Tucker933 like this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1
status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2
competent.png

Made this one a while ago to demonstrate how lazy Halo's netcode is, and why phantom grenades occur when you kill a player before their grenade throwing animation ends.

netcode.png

Server-Side is shown when you create a server using the Halo client or play a campaign map, essentially what the server "sees." Notice that there is a grenade on the player's left hand.

Client-Side is shown when you join a server. Basically, you wave your hand and a grenade magically appears in front of you. Halo has issues with attaching objects to bipeds, which is why bipeds that are spawned using a script will not appear to have weapons over multiplayer even though killing them will reveal that they had a weapon. Because the grenade never spawned for other players, killing the player while this grenade animation is being done can cause the player to drop the live grenade, but the grenade will not appear for other players, causing an invisible but potentially deadly explosion.

aLTis and WaeV like this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1
competent.png

2 minutes ago, Sceny said:

Very red! What is it though?

I was just playing with the light on the assault rifle, thought this looked pretty cool

Something I don't see much of is edits to dynamic light masks, to make patterns or new shapes. You should try tinkering with that, too.

return.png

29 minutes ago, Tucker933 said:

Something I don't see much of is edits to dynamic light masks, to make patterns or new shapes. You should try tinkering with that, too.

I might experiment with that, for now I was just playing with the lights on the gun because I wanted something cool for the laser gun because I'm making a sequel to my laser tag mod.

Tucker933 likes this