Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Tucker933

Your skill the longer you play multiplayer

13 posts in this topic

How does yours change as time goes on?

Not counting the initial learning period, mine always drops and then falls to crap the longer I play, unless I take a break for at least a couple weeks. My first couple matches back are always by far the best I play. I think it's because I get used to the game and get way too aggressive in my tactics, since that's all I notice change in my playstyle.

I think @As7raios mentioned the same issue, at least with Halo. For me it's all games, which is a bit annoying.

Solaris, buttonspectre and Pfhunkie like this

2 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

Not counting the initial learning period, mine always drops and then falls to crap the longer I play, unless I take a break for at least a couple weeks. My first couple matches back are always by far the best I play. I think it's because I get used to the game and get way too aggressive in my tactics, since that's all I notice change in my playstyle.

I think @As7raios mentioned the same issue, at least with Halo. For me it's all games, which is a bit annoying.

That always happens with me. It doesn't matter what game it is; definitely Halo. Best example was Halo 4. First thing I did in the multiplayer was getting an overkill/exterm. VERY first thing. Never got one after that.

Tucker933 likes this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

It depends. I need breaks, so when I get back my spirits are higher and my situational awareness is a little higher. Over time I get tunnel visioned and just get frustrated. Creative (story and sandbox) and brain stimulating games are usually more fun for me though.

Tucker933 likes this

Linux/Unix | InfoSec | Electronics | Radios

I guess it depends on the game.

With FPS PvP games like Halo, I usually stay pretty consistent whether I play every day or not. I don't play for much more than an hour at a time, as I get tired of playing, and that's when I do worse, but I get better the next day when I'm not tired of the game. I tend to do worse on larger, slower-paced maps like Bigass, mainly because they aren't very fun or very balanced for Halo.

With a PvE game like Killing Floor 2, I can play that game at 6 in the morning half-asleep and be as good as usual. If I keep playing, I get better, and if I stop playing, I get worse.

Tucker933 and Solaris like this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

competent.png

19 minutes ago, 002 said:

With a PvE game like Killing Floor 2, I can play that game at 6 in the morning half-asleep and be as good as usual. If I keep playing, I get better, and if I stop playing, I get worse.

I agree with this. I should've been more specific and said PvP.

I just played 3/4 game of Halo1 - Death Island, no headphones, sound through monitor and played a great game 6:68:7 so I can be consistent regardless, if it's a map and mods I'm used to. As for anything else my first game is usually a warm up but I can surprise myself and play great then slide into the 'noob' status.  I lose interest fast after that then play another only to play well again.

I think it depends on the class of players you are with and against that impact your game and style too.

2ew2skp.png

This topic was well timed because just a few hours ago I decided to play some Destiny for the first time in a week or so and chose to start with some multiplayer.

The first match was a nailbiter where we were behind most of the match but ended up winning by mere seconds right at the very end. Mostly because of some incredible plays this one other guy and I pulled off together by the seat of our pants.

I was shaking from the adrenaline afterwards and decided to quit while I was ahead. After that one match I switched to Fallout 4.

Moral of the story is that I rarely play so well but a short break was all it took this time I guess.

Tucker933 likes this

Kavawuvi: one of these days these glutes are gonna squawk all over you