Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

IkaBula

N64

12 posts in this topic

So, upon moving into my new house I opened a box that was in our old garage that I'd not seen in years. Inside was my childhood N64 which has become something of a nostalgic addiction lately. Replaying Bsanjo-Kazooie, Gauntlet Legends, Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64 in particular.

Though, I've been looking around for some new games to try out - or to find some old ones thta I had an used to play for hours on end (NBA Courtside 1999 anyone?!)

So, two things:

1. Does anyone know anywhere one could pick up retro games at a reasonable price? I've heard it's best to avoid eBay.

2. Does anyone have any game recommendations?

I've found some games at my local cash converters on recommendation of a guy who works at a gaming shop that I was inquiring in, but they had like three games and they all sucked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleTanx:_Global_Assault

I used to play this with my two cousins as a kid. I remember it being good but i havent played it since probably 2001/2002

https://www.amazon.com/BattleTanx-Global-Assault-Nintendo-64/dp/B00001TZYB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410137265&sr=8-2&keywords=battletanx+n64

Edited by Anthony
added link
Kavawuvi likes this

RxoL70s.png

<00:52:19> "Pandora": dance bitch dance

53 minutes ago, Anthony said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleTanx:_Global_Assault

I used to play this with my two cousins as a kid. I remember it being good but i havent played it since probably 2001/2002

https://www.amazon.com/BattleTanx-Global-Assault-Nintendo-64/dp/B00001TZYB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410137265&sr=8-2&keywords=battletanx+n64

BTGA is a pretty kickass game and one of 3DO's best games on the system, if not their best imo. I spent so much time playing this game.

Here are a few classics:

• Star Fox 64 - This game has fairly high replay value, especially if you want to get all of the medals. A single session will likely only take an hour or so.
  • Super Mario 64 - This game is quite long if you want to get all of the stars and it basically sold the console.
  • F-Zero X - It basically defines a fast-paced racing game. It's also at a stable 60 frames per second, even if that meant potato graphics, but who cares?

I do have a few favorite multiplayer games:

• Goldeneye 007 - As an FPS, it's mediocre compared to a lot of modern games because of the awful frame rate and awkward controls, but for its time, it was a system seller partly thanks to its otherwise redeeming multiplayer.
  • Mario Kart 64 - Like any other Mario Kart game, the replay value is pretty good.
  • BattleTanx Global Assault for reasons I stated above. The graphics aren't great, but the gameplay is pretty good and the soundtrack kicks ass.
  • Vigilante 8 - Although everyone is in a vehicle, this isn't a racing game. It's more like a vehicular deathmatch game. The graphics and soundtrack are pretty good, and lots of things are also destructible, too, like buildings. I've killed so much time playing this game.
giraffe likes this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

competent.png

17 minutes ago, 002 said:

Vigilante 8 - Although everyone is in a vehicle, this isn't a racing game. It's more like a vehicular deathmatch game. The graphics and soundtrack are pretty good, and lots of things are also destructible, too, like buildings. I've killed so much time playing this game.

I had the PS1 version. Fun game.

Kavawuvi likes this

dynamic.png

30 minutes ago, 002 said:

• Vigilante 8 - Although everyone is in a vehicle, this isn't a racing game. It's more like a vehicular deathmatch game. The graphics and soundtrack are pretty good, and lots of things are also destructible, too, like buildings. I've killed so much time playing this game.

I didn't remember the title but after looking at screenshots, yeah we had/played that too, it was an amazing game, i'd also recommend it.

RxoL70s.png

<00:52:19> "Pandora": dance bitch dance

I only kept a handful of N64 games. Pretty much the games that I played the most.

• Super Smash Bros.
  • Mario Party 2
  • Paper Mario
  • Super Mario 64
  • Mortal Kombat Trilogy

dynamic.png

I know in my area we have a retro/old game retailer called GameTrader. (Some take on GameStop, I don't know)
I don't know where you live but you can try looking up a game retailer. Although they do charge a bit for the antiques.

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure."-Somewhere on the internet  

In my area we have many retro games shops.  Not sure where you're located but Craigslist and offer up(our your locations equivalents) are usually good starting point for finding classic games at ok prices.  

Also, ocarina of Time.   Find it.  Buy it. Play it.   

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.