Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Kavawuvi

How much money do you spend on a gaming system?

The Xbox One S and PS4 currently sell for $249.99. For someone who wants to game at a value but can't afford a brand new PC and isn't willing to buy or build with used hardware, this isn't a bad choice. However, with the new Xbox One X being $499, a lot of people are pretty mixed on whether or not to actually buy it. $499 is a lot of money, though this isn't a bad value when you consider a similarly priced gaming PC with all parts bought brand new isn't going to be that much more powerful. Likely, some people will turn to the less powerful PS4 Pro or go with the entry-level PS4 or Xbox One S, or they'll buy a Nintendo Switch.

When it comes to gaming PCs, though, there is a wide range of price ranges you can choose from depending on what components you choose and how you obtain these components. You can, for instance, dump just under $1600 on a PC with an i7-7700K and a GTX 1080 Ti and overclock the hell out of everything for the best overall gaming experience you can get, and you can also spend only a few hundred dollars on a site like eBay and get potentially the best bang for your buck by buying used while still likely getting a much better gaming experience than a console. You can also opt to get more RAM, a more powerful processor, a sound card, or other components if you use your PC for things other than gaming.

How much money do you willing to spend on a gaming system, whether that be a PC or a console?

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

competent.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

All of the monies.

Though my current build was just $1.7k, while my previous one was almost $2.5k, so I have scaled back a bit.

For a PC unless you really want to go crazy, I think about $1.5k is plenty for a high-end build.

buttonspectre and Pra3tor1an like this

It's hard to say with PCs.  I don't buy everything all at once and I would say a lot of other people don't either.  That makes it much easier to drop 1 or 2k on one.  For consoles, I think $200-300 is a pretty good deal for what options we have right now.  Thing is I don't want a console at all so good price or not I don't intend to get one even though you could get an xbox one lightly used for under 200

oVoXWXc.png

For longevity and whatnot, I usually dump a hefty amount into a base build ($1.5K +) which I'll upgrade components like RAM, SSD/HDDs, GPUs and maybe some other peripherals, but I won't ever dump money on another socket change until my board and CPU doesn't offer a technology I want or is obsolete. I think I could probably deal with my 6700K for a while before I have to change sockets or even brands again.

DiSiAC likes this

Linux/Unix | InfoSec | Electronics | Radios

I spent $500 on this one... in January 2010. Upgraded the GPU twice since then for $160 a pop, and I may have put in another 2 G of RAM but I don't remember. Swapped the HDD out but that was a lateral move, only because the original failed. All I play now is Rocket League and it runs that at a comfy 75 FPS (though I cap it at 60 because this room gets hot) so it does what I need but I'll end up getting a new one soon since it could be smoother. 144 Hz is almost an unfair advantage in RL, I'm springing to make sure I can reach it.

Like Solaris said, I buy processors to last. This Intel Q8200 quad is still kicking so why worry yet?

Edited by TCK

Umh7x1l.gif

My PC, once I got my GTX 1070, cost me just under $1340. I did get the 1070 for gaming, but I got the i7-6700K and 16 GB of RAM because I needed the specs for other things, and I would have spent only $900-$1200 total otherwise. If I was just gaming, I'd have gotten an i5 build at the time and have used my savings to get a GTX 1080, instead, though I'd probably still have kept 16 GB of RAM. In that case, I personally wouldn't really spend more than $1400.

Actually, If I just wanted something to just game at 1080p 60 FPS, I'd try going for maybe $600-$900. What I'd personally do is spend a little extra to get a good CPU upfront, a good SSD, and a decent power supply, while still getting whatever GPU you wanted. That way you'll only have to upgrade your GPU to improve gaming performance, and your other parts will not hold you back as your PC ages. Games are largely GPU bound, plus the newer APIs promise to be more efficient with CPU performance, so you probably aren't going to notice a deficit for a long time.

As for the PC versus console argument, yes, a PC is a better investment. Upgrading a mid-ranged GPU is cheaper than upgrading a console ($150-$250 versus the introductory price of the Xbox One X/Xbox One and PS4 Pro/PS4 which was $499 and $399, respectively). You also wouldn't have paid anything for online multiplayer ($59.99/year). Also unlike a console, your library of games will not get smaller simply because you got a newer generation GPU and, in fact, many of your games will even benefit from your better GPU. Lastly, you'll be able to use the same exact peripherals, where with a console, that extra controller you bought probably won't work with the next generation console (though it'll work with a PC :P). That said, if the exclusives on console are more important to you, by all means, get a console.

Takka933 likes this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

competent.png