What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Krazychic

Arizona flights grounded as temperatures set to soar to 50C in extreme heatwave

18 posts in this topic

149809950535176.jpg

Temperatures are forecast to rise above 50 degrees Celsius in parts of the south-west United States, as an extreme heatwave forces airlines to ground planes and strains power grids.

Spoiler

Major airlines delayed and cancelled flights out of Las Vegas and Phoenix airports as temperatures hit the high 40s, citing difficulty in operating aircraft in extreme heat.

American Airlines cancelled 20 regional flights out of Phoenix, Arizona on Tuesday after temperatures in the desert city soared toward 49 degrees Celsius.

The forecast called for a high of 49 degrees Celsius in Phoenix, 48C in Palm Springs, California, and 52C in Death Valley — a desert valley in Eastern California.

Aviation experts said hotter air was also thinner, causing a decline in performance for jet engines, especially during take-offs.

"As the ambient temperature at a particular airport increases, in this case into the [high 40s] at Phoenix, the amount of lift and power in aircraft engines declines, and the result is that for any given runway length, you can carry less and less payload," Robert Mann, an industry analyst and former airline executive, said.

"As temperatures get that extreme, you have to offload so much fuel or passengers or cargo that it no longer makes sense to fly," he said.

ABC News Breakfast weatherman Nate Byrne explained: "When the temperatures get that hot, the air is literally just not dense enough to make sure that all of the physics that works to help an aircraft get into the air are enough for it to do that safely."

Mr Mann said aircraft may also be hampered because the charts used in flight manuals to calculate aircraft performance are not written with such heat in mind, making it impossible for pilots to accurately calculate payloads and take-off speeds.

The flights affected by the heat tend to be on smaller regional carriers, which use planes that operate under lower maximum temperatures.

"It doesn't happen very often because these are exceedingly rare temperatures, but there's a point at which either runway length is insufficient or the speed is so high that the tires wouldn't be rated for it," Mr Mann said of those aircraft.

The heat can also create issues for ground crews, where pavement temperatures can reach more 66C, life-threatening conditions if workers are exposed to it for too long.

The National Weather Service said the current heatwave resulted from a high-pressure system camped over the Four Corners region where Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona meet.

The sweltering weather was expected to peak on Tuesday or Wednesday (local time) as temperatures in Death Valley and the town of Needles, California, were forecast to spike as high as 53C.

Source

Tiddy-bits:

It's quite warm out.   Our official temps have been 119f.  Unofficially my outdoor thermometer hit 122f in the shade. 

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

I was in Phoenix last year for work and it was 107F when I got off of the plane. I can only imagine it right now.

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

15 hours ago, Krazychic said:

Temperatures are forecast to rise above 50 degrees Celsius in parts of the south-west United States, as an extreme heatwave forces airlines to ground planes and strains power grids.

Wow how do you cope, it got to 32 degrees Celsius here over the last week which I thought was enough to bare while working outside.

1 hour ago, dmb1 said:

Wow how do you cope

Oversized Air conditioners and lots of water.

And for fuck sake don't spend anymore time outside during the day than you have to. 

Edited by DiSiAC
WaeV and buttonspectre like this

9 minutes ago, DiSiAC said:

Oversized Air conditioners and lots of water.

And for fuck sake don't spend anymore time outside during the day than you have to. 

Not many houses in the UK have A/C.

And if their house is anything like mine; it was hotter inside than it was out!!!

DiSiAC likes this

My A/C here in NorCal is barely keeping up with the 100F weather.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

9 minutes ago, Tucker933 said:

My A/C here in NorCal is barely keeping up with the 100F weather.

More btus!

On 6/21/2017 at 11:23 PM, DiSiAC said:

It's quite warm out.   Our official temps have been 119f.  Unofficially my outdoor thermometer hit 122f in the shade. 

Uh, isn't the maximum temperature humans can technically live in like 130f?

oVoXWXc.png