Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Lord Stark

Atari Confirms New Console

19 posts in this topic

To be honest, I thought Atari went bankrupt years ago. What the fuck have they been up to..

Members of Open Carnage enjoy an ad-free experience!

3 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

Every console for the past couple decades has been based on "PC technology", so I'm not sure what's meant by that. That's about as vague of a statement as you can make.

Also, in regards to news, you can recommend articles here. If published by an Editor, you'll earn a raffle ticket.

Yeaaah, I'm not too sure what was meant by that either XD

And alrighty :D

wtgafflrg.png

9 hours ago, Kru said:

To be honest, I thought Atari went bankrupt years ago. What the fuck have they been up to..

Probably bought out as a subsidiary.

Linux/Unix | InfoSec | Electronics | Radios

Probably just going to be an emulation box in the vein of NES classic. If Atari actually releases a real modern console, it's going to flop. I guarantee that.

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

8 hours ago, As7raios said:

Probably just going to be an emulation box in the vein of NES classic. If Atari actually releases a real modern console, it's going to flop. I guarantee that.

Probably. Given Atari's track record, I wouldn't recommend putting any stake into Atari. However, I am curious what they're making.

They don't have the mind share that Microsoft and Sony have, and given that they've just exited bankruptcy, I don't think they can adequately back up an eighth generation console. However, if they come out with the right system and make the right decisions in marketing and getting games for that system, they could very well have the fighting chance that they need. But what could they make that would compete? This console generation has really been something else, and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt this one time for the sake of my curiosity.

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

competent.png

Okay, so, there's one possibility other than what I've said that could be profitable but damn risky.

Essentially, it would have to be a Steam box... not running Steam. They'd have their own fork of Linux, working in partnership with Valve to have access to the Steam library. You'd have access to the Steam marketplace but everything would be within their own user interface. If you want, you can go into a desktop mode. From there, you can do whatever the hell you'd normally like to do with a Linux machine. They'd have the name to make the marketing reach out to a large audience, if they make a truly solid UI it could get more people to switch over, and if they can work with developers to get proper controller support, it could be successful. Then, even if it is successful, it won't be THAT much of a success unless there's some piece of the ingredient I'm missing.

4VWJfoZ.gif

23 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

and that's what I thought. 

Edit: Wait, no; that's not true. This is a quote from the article

Atari plans to deliver classic games in the Ataribox, alongside “current content.” It’s not clear if that current content involves simply republishing Rollercoaster Tycoon...

So, the big question now is "What does 'current games' mean?"

4VWJfoZ.gif