Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krazychic

Black Crows TV stars receive death threats from Islamic State members

149627570170324.jpg

Stars of a new Middle Eastern TV drama depicting the lives of women forced to live under the Islamic State have received death threats from the terror group.

Spoiler

Kuwaiti actress Mona Shaddad said her and other stars of Black Crows have been targeted for portraying women who have joined the extremist organisation.

The 30-part TV show made by Middle East Broadcasting Corp is playing across the Arab world during Ramadan — a month of fasting between dawn and dusk when families typically gather at home late into the night.

It focuses on telling the stories of women forced to live under the Islamic State from all perspectives with hard-hitting scenes depicting sexual assault, suicide bombers and Yazidi slavery.

Shaddad plays a woman who joins IS as a jihadi bride after failing to find a husband and said her main aim was to “change the narrative” regarding Islamic State.

“The role I play is very important because it touches upon the topic of how easily brainwashed some people can be and led to believe that they are joining an extremist group for good reasons when in reality, they are not,” she told Al Arabiya.

Saudi Arabian actress Aseel Omran said she had also been threatened for her role but said she was not worried about it — yet.

“If you asked me a few years ago whether threats from ISIS scared me, I’d say yes. But let’s be honest, we live in Dubai, one of the safest cities in the world. For now, I’m not feeling it but let’s wait for the halfway mark of Ramadan and see how the threats look like, God forbid they do though,” she told the company.

The hard-hitting drama, which has been likened to The Sopranos in the US, comes as Islamic State still holds the city of Mosul and large chunks of land in Syria, forcing millions of refugees to flee their homes or suffer enslavement under their rule.

Middle East Broadcasting Corp Director Ali Jaber said the company has been forced to upgrade security across the region but was undeterred from their goal of showcasing the reality across the region.

“We’ve heard a lot from ISIS about this series in terms of threats that we are receiving every day. I am personally receiving a lot of threats,” he told NPR.

“We need to be relevant, and this is the prevailing conversation in the Arab world. This is a series — a drama series about the women under ISIS, whether a woman participating with ISIS or a woman suffering from ISIS. And it’s set Raqqa in Syria, and it basically exposes the life there, what they preach and what they practice in reality.”

One episode of the show features a girl and her grandmother selling plates decorated with animals to survive under IS, before the grandmother is shot in the head by a female police unity.

Another shows children being trained with machine guns and told “bullets are faster than people” as they try to run away.

The $10 million series was filmed in Lebanon and presented filming challenges as it sought to depict suicide bombings and IS headquarters.

Executive producer Amer Sabbah told AFP security was the “most difficult challenge” during filming.

“When you transform an area in Lebanon into what resembles an IS headquarters, you have to consider security and safety of your crew,” he said.

Source

Rumors are carried by haters
Spread by fools
and
Accepted by idiots

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

I'm surprised anyone in the Middle East had the courage to produce a series like this, my hat's off to them.