Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Kavawuvi

Chimera (build 49)

208 posts in this topic
24 minutes ago, Ki11a_FTW said:

Yes.  I also tried running some of your commands that you listed.

All right, what build were you using? And what version of Halo?

I don't support Open Sauce presently, nor do I have Open Sauce installed on my main PC to test Chimera, but I'll be looking into this sometime next week on a PC that does have Open Sauce.

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

1 hour ago, 002 said:

All right, what build were you using? And what version of Halo?

I don't support Open Sauce presently, nor do I have Open Sauce installed on my main PC to test Chimera, but I'll be looking into this sometime next week on a PC that does have Open Sauce.

Tried both 32 and 33.  Running the latest version of Halo.  I don't get to use my PC much other than weekday nights but I'll continue to try messing with it when I can.  Will report back if anything changes.

I've had people mention to me that sometimes they cannot use their mouse scroll wheel (for adjusting devcam speed and scrolling through the server lobby). It seems this only occurs if you run Halo in windowed mode and focus on a different window before Halo's window opens. The issue can be fixed by alt-tabbing from Halo to a different window and then back to Halo. However, if you have chimera_tab_out_video enabled then tabbing out won't fix the issue.

I figure it'd be better for you to include a fix in chimera, rather than for me make a DLL just for this. Here is a signature "A3 ?? ?? ?? ?? EB 0E 68 ?? ?? ?? ?? 50 E8". The scroll wheel will work if the value is greater than 0 and less than or equal to 120.

Kavawuvi likes this

dynamic.png

Here's another video of Chimera's interpolation mod:

This features particles being interpolated as well as model rotations. Watch in 60 FPS.

Here's some gameplay of The Silent Cartographer (I voice over it a little):

Also, here's a video of a warthog flipping to show you three of the settings. There's now a fourth setting to chimera_interpolate which includes particles.

Lastly, I've greatly reduced the CPU usage of high interpolation. It's still going to be a measurable drop, but probably not close to a 40% dip as was found in earlier benchmarks.

2 hours ago, giraffe said:

I've had people mention to me that sometimes they cannot use their mouse scroll wheel (for adjusting devcam speed and scrolling through the server lobby). It seems this only occurs if you run Halo in windowed mode and focus on a different window before Halo's window opens. The issue can be fixed by alt-tabbing from Halo to a different window and then back to Halo. However, if you have chimera_tab_out_video enabled then tabbing out won't fix the issue.

I figure it'd be better for you to include a fix in chimera, rather than for me make a DLL just for this. Here is a signature "A3 ?? ?? ?? ?? EB 0E 68 ?? ?? ?? ?? 50 E8". The scroll wheel will work if the value is greater than 0 and less than or equal to 120.

I've never encountered this issue, but I'll give it a look.

Tucker933 likes this

36 minutes ago, 002 said:

I've never encountered this issue, but I'll give it a look.

At the beginning of the video chimera_tab_out_video is not enabled, yet Halo thinks it's window is focused.

dynamic.png

Here is another feature that's on the way for map developers. It'll allow you to see various budget(s).

Here's Phoenix 3, which goes over the visible object budget when flying over the map:

Screenshot_107.png

Fortunately, HAC2 is installed which has this limit raised to 1024.

More values are being planned to be added here.

kronos and Tucker933 like this

Here's a new feature of Chimera that I'm working on. This command allows you to disable model LODs (level of detail). Normally, LODs serve to improve frame rates by reducing the visual fidelity of far away objects, but in 2017, people who are still playing this game likely aren't using Intel Pentium 4s, NVIDIA GeForce2 GTSes, or under 256 MB of DDR RAM, so this optimization has little impact on frame rate on most maps for most modern systems, yet it creates an annoying pop-in effect as you move closer or farther away from objects and they switch LODs.

As an example, here is the Tracer on Phoenix 3. You can also compare this with the stock Plasma Rifle as it uses the same stock LODs (shown below), but the custom textures make the effect much more apparent. In the screenshot, I am standing only a small distance away from this weapon, yet it appears less detailed. The model has a lower polygon count and the shading is very basic. If you were to stand only a little closer, it would render at full fidelity. By having this optimization disabled by Chimera, the model will be rendered at the highest quality LOD regardless of your distance from the object, improving visual quality and removing that annoying pop-in effect.

zhsSlk1.png

lod_1.png

kronos and Tucker933 like this

Hello. I have a problem with Chimera. I try different builds, different combinations of Halo custom edition 1.10 and HAC2, OS, etc. With mods, without mods - always one result - after I start game "gathering exeption data" and game just closed without any logs. What I do wrong? Can someone help? I use Win7 x64 and Halo CE 1.10.