Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Kavawuvi

Chimera (build 49)

190 posts in this topic

There's a bug in Chimera where there are some issues starting up in full screen mode on April Fools Day. I did not actually intend for this bug to happen and I will fix it in a later release.

As for the ring spazzing out in the main menu, that's actually a reference to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5c_MEs9mo

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

competent.png

3 hours ago, Kavawuvi said:

There's a bug in Chimera where there are some issues starting up in full screen mode on April Fools Day. I did not actually intend for this bug to happen and I will fix it in a later release.

As for the ring spazzing out in the main menu, that's actually a reference to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5c_MEs9mo

For a moment, I thought the ring spazzing out was caused by me switching from the latest alpha build back down to version 49 the other day.

Sorry for the month+ long thing of radio silence. I'm still working on this project, and I have plenty of plans. I'll go more into detail as things progress.

Anyway, I do have some news, but you guys may or may not take it very well. This is quoted directly from the Chimera Discord:

How do people feel about continued HAC2 support?

The original idea for Chimera was that it should complement HAC2 rather than replace it. However, there are a few things people have requested repeatedly which would interfere with HAC2 or otherwise replace HAC2's functionality.

Examples of features which would most likely interfere with HAC2:

- Map downloading

- Server favorites

- Waiting for a server to not be empty

- 65535 BSP polygon limit

- Sightjacker with a proper FP view

You may think that I can just disable these features if HAC2 is detected, and you're right, but then nobody would use those features because everyone uses HAC2, thus writing them is most likely a waste of time. Some people have said they are willing to uninstall HAC2 to use these features, but I feel this is far from a majority.

Basically, supporting HAC2 comes with benefits and drawbacks. On one hand, it's the most popular mod out there. On the other hand, there are some things I can't do with Chimera if I want most of Chimera's features to work with HAC2.

If anyone has any questions or wishes to discuss this with me, feel free to do so in this topic. There is also a poll in the Chimera discord.

Tucker933 likes this

competent.png

Subscribed. I'd like to know what you can't do with HAC2 installed? There's a difference between "interfere with" and "being replaced by".

I do know that if you offer map downloading, I would be happy to be the repo (or one of many) for it. Served by gigabit fiber in the US, and the potential of adding an Ireland repo, or anywhere else Amazon sells instances, I'd be happy to help. The one thing I ask is that we come up with a way to do it with redundancy and fault tolerance. I would be happy to provide all servers required for this.

My current repo is 3249 maps. at about 85GB zipped, and would also be happy to support 7zip or whatever compression you see fit to use. I have another 2000 maps or so that I haven't put up yet.

Disk space is not a problem for me.

HAC2 support will never go away, I suspect there are plenty of players out there that don't even realize they have HAC2 installed, as it's been bundled with a Spanish-version of Halo CE somewhere along the way ;)

Vaporeon, Kavawuvi and Tucker933 like this

msalerno1965 in steam

msalerno@kilonet.net - email

7 hours ago, msalerno said:

Subscribed. I'd like to know what you can't do with HAC2 installed? There's a difference between "interfere with" and "being replaced by".

When it comes to HAC2, "being replaced by" sometimes results in "interfere with" because HAC2 will error and not load Halo if it doesn't find a signature. I've found this to be an issue when I made things like removing zoom blur because HAC2 would end up crashing due to not finding a signature.

I actually held off for months on making my widescreen fix because HAC2 has a widescreen fix on by default. Eventually, I decided to do so, and just as I predicted: not only does it "replace" it but it also "interferes" with it. Elements end up getting squished because Chimera has changed the resolution of the HUD while HAC2 is scaling elements.

Then there's another thing to consider: 65k polygons. HAC2 only goes up to 32767 polygons. There is a lot of work to be done to get 65535 polygons, but it is possible. However, this would require changing code which HAC2 may want to change. This means you would have to choose between HAC2 or Chimera.

As for something like map downloading, if I implemented it, then what would happen if you tried to join a server where you didn't have the map? Would HAC2 try to download or would Chimera try to download? I could work around this by just not having map downloading if HAC2 is detected, but then I may as well have not have made this feature despite so many people requesting I make it. This is the same with map queue.

I do know that if you offer map downloading, I would be happy to be the repo (or one of many) for it. Served by gigabit fiber in the US, and the potential of adding an Ireland repo, or anywhere else Amazon sells instances, I'd be happy to help. The one thing I ask is that we come up with a way to do it with redundancy and fault tolerance. I would be happy to provide all servers required for this.

My current repo is 3249 maps. at about 85GB zipped, and would also be happy to support 7zip or whatever compression you see fit to use. I have another 2000 maps or so that I haven't put up yet.

Disk space is not a problem for me.

Nice!

HAC2 support will never go away, I suspect there are plenty of players out there that don't even realize they have HAC2 installed, as it's been bundled with a Spanish-version of Halo CE somewhere along the way ;)

I'm sure people will always be using it. However, it hasn't seen updates in a long time, yet there are plenty of bugs in it. For example, widescreen fix still has the motion sensor stretched as well as the scope mask, and these were quite simple for me to figure out on Chimera. Another problem is that changing your HUD colors is broken because it can prevent you from moving your mouse vertically if you try to reset your colors. Also, if the HAC2 servers are down, simply using HAC2 becomes difficult, and forcing people to put hac.dll in their Halo folder means that they will never receive the fix for it.

Vaporeon likes this

competent.png

11 hours ago, Leo74800 said:

HAC2 allows to play online with classic modified multiplayer maps like these : https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cyswouggm5dw9/HCEA_2.2

While the server uses the original.

Will it be possible someday with Chimera?

The latest unstable release on the Discord allows this already, so yes. When it's stable enough to be released officially here, you will see it.

competent.png

18 hours ago, Kavawuvi said:

The latest unstable release on the Discord allows this already, so yes. When it's stable enough to be released officially here, you will see it.

Wow, amazing!

It's possible now to use Refinery from Mo's editing kit to change the hash of maps, so Halo CE will think it's exactly the same as the original. This way there no need to have certain mods installed with the right settings on and the maps wont break if the HAC2 cache gets wiped.

For example these versions of those maps posted will work anywhere.

Kavawuvi likes this