What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Update: Chimera 1.0 does support retail Halo PC

Tiddy-bits:

I posted this on the Chimera Discord as an announcement, but I figured it was important to put this here

I've been asked about reimplementing Halo Custom Edition's features. It's a great idea, but there are uncertainties involved with this.

For names over heads and gametype rules, this forces people to use hotkeys that, unlike Custom Edition, cannot be configured in the Halo settings. I've criticized HAC2 for doing this with things like FOV and custom HUD colors because it fucks me over intermittently in-game. These features will also be very difficult to implement without the source code, given my understanding of the game.

As for custom map support, it is true that I wrote a program called Sapphire which allowed HaloMD (a modification of the Mac version of the retail version of the game) to load Custom Edition maps. For anyone wondering, doing this is actually pretty easy:

• Make Halo ignore the engine version in the header (offset 0x8)
  • Load the tag data into memory from the resource maps
  • Use an index to convert file offsets to retail

Also, there exists an open source mod for HaloMD made by Samuco that can make retail users join Custom Edition servers.

Having done some testing, there are numerous reasons against implementing these:

• There exists a (very small) number of maps that crash on the retail version of the game but not on Halo Custom Edition. As an example, dmt-drug-bust doesn't work.
  • There are some very minor changes that have to be made to the tag data, and these may screw up maps that happen to use the same name as stock maps.
  • There may be some maps that reference external file offsets that are valid for an English copy of Halo Custom Edition but not the retail version of the game. Because people have been foolish enough to release protected maps, many of these will not work.

Halo's main problem has been that the game has been split between two communities: retail and Custom Edition. Unfortunately, even in 1.10, the problem still exists. Doing this would mostly solve the problem, but it may also be a bad idea for the above reasons. Thoughts?

chimera-20191018T012014Z.7z

Uh... Oops. My hand slipped!

Java, Sunstriker7 and Kinnet like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0