What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Update: chimera_spectate will not be restricted by servers

Someone on the Chimera discord asked if Chimera's spectate feature (equivalent to HAC2's sightjacker) would respect SAPP's scrim_mode command which disables sightjacker, and I thought this was an important question. Here was my response:

From my observations, servers that attempt to block sightjacking are often times understaffed with admins and generally rely on the aimbot detection built into SAPP to detect cheaters. Because of this, servers that disable sightjacking often times get frequented by cheaters, and nobody has any way of knowing for sure that someone is cheating besides only extremely obvious cheating.

If people can reliably detect cheaters, then they can simply leave to join another server. Perhaps this is the reason people try to block sightjacking on their server? Not because they're worried people will cheat with a sightjacker (even with hotkeys, it wasn't a good way to cheat, and now with needing commands, it's less convenient) but because they don't want their players to leave over cheaters.

Either way, unlike HAC2, Chimera is not an anticheat. As such, I will not implement any measures to prevent players from using features just because the server said so. Not only would they not help anyone, but it's a slippery slope that doesn't lead to anywhere good.

Besides, unlike HAC2, Chimera is open source. Implementing these checks would be no more trivial than removing them.

tl;dr - No. Chimera will not prevent you from using any of its features when SAPP's scrim_mode is enabled.

Sceny likes this

Tiddy-bits:

For the server I help administrate, we disable sightjacking simply because it's a method of cheating. Nothing to look into there. But there is one huge downside to this- administrators cannot sightjack either. This is supposed to be fixed but it never was. Because of this, us administrators are handicapped against our will. We do not use the built in aimbot detection because there are known methods where trolls can get HAC2 to false positive on an innocent person and get them banned.

Blaming server administrators for HAC2's deficiencies isn't fair.

Kavawuvi likes this

1 hour ago, DSalimander said:

For the server I help administrate, we disable sightjacking simply because it's a method of cheating. Nothing to look into there. But there is one huge downside to this- administrators cannot sightjack either. This is supposed to be fixed but it never was. Because of this, us administrators are handicapped against our will. We do not use the built in aimbot detection because there are known methods where trolls can get HAC2 to false positive on an innocent person and get them banned.

Thanks for replying.

My problem is that servers that have sightjacking disabled seem to be more prone to cheaters. I can't count how many times I've joined a server where there was someone who was possibly cheating, but because the server blocked sightjacking, I couldn't be certain about it. This is what ultimately resulted in me choosing to not implement whatever HAC2 does or should do to check if sightjacking is blocked. It isn't like I'd be able to trivially do this if I actually wanted to, anyway, because HAC2 is closed source.

1 hour ago, DSalimander said:

Blaming server administrators for HAC2's deficiencies isn't fair.

I think having to play on a server with cheaters because you chose to block one of the most reliable means of detecting cheaters isn't fair for me, either. Sure, I could go to a different server, but the choice of servers with players on them is very limited, and many of them block sightjacking, which is why I made this decision. If you need a bug fixed with HAC2, I recommend talking to msalerno1965 about it. He's the one who currently develops for HAC2. I'm sure he can help you out.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0