What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Kavawuvi

Chimera Questions & Suggestions

151 posts in this topic
6 hours ago, Bungie LLC said:

I still can't believe you were able to get interpolation to work in FP. I'd love to get a general idea of how you even did it, since (I assume) FP assets aren't exactly [obj] tag classes in the memory, or are not easily accessed. I like to imagine the method must be relatively abstract.

Someone gave me an address to where the FP model stuff is used and I mapped it out. It does use a different type of rotation, but MosesOfEgypt showed me the function for handling this with his FPS animation changer from his Python-based MEK and I converted it to C++ code and it works like a charm.

On a potentially unrelated note in regards to Chimera, will interchangeable FP models in-game ever be a thing? I know you've made mention of it before in another thread, even making mention of writing some kind of app.

What do you mean?

Tiddy-bits:

1 hour ago, MokouPrice said:

Did you remove the ADS function? The code doesnt work

For the time being I had to remove it due to it crashing on certain weapons on certain maps when certain things happened.

On 9/11/2017 at 2:27 PM, 002 said:

What do you mean?

This is the post I was referencing: 

Now, with the experimental lua build of Chimera 45, us OpenSauce folks can experiment with SAPP scripting in our maps, and team-specific bipeds is something I've always wanted to take a shot at. However, there's a consistency issue with FP hands when you decide to set something up like spartans for one team, and elites for another.

I'd like to see about getting around that, if possible. Covenant weapons would be configured in such a way that their thirdperson weapon labels, and their first person animations, are set up for and only usable by elites, whereas the contrary applies for human weapons and the spartans. Then, somehow have two different FP models that the player will switch between depending on their team.

Edited by Bungie LLC

4 hours ago, Bungie LLC said:

This is the post I was referencing: 

Now, with the experimental lua build of Chimera 45, us OpenSauce folks can experiment with SAPP scripting in our maps, and team-specific bipeds is something I've always wanted to take a shot at. However, there's a consistency issue with FP hands when you decide to set something up like spartans for one team, and elites for another.

I'd like to see about getting around that, if possible. Covenant weapons would be configured in such a way that their thirdperson weapon labels, and their first person animations, are set up for and only usable by elites, whereas the contrary applies for human weapons and the spartans. Then, somehow have two different FP models that the player will switch between depending on their team.

Chimera's Lua scripting isn't the same as SAPP scripting, but I suppose you could swap FP models.

And yes, only alpha builds will have Lua scripting until it's stabilized.

I made a horrible mistake. I used "SAPP scripting" interchangeably with "lua scripting," without even realizing it. Sorry if that came off as foolish.

The idea is still the same, however, that with lua scripting features within this test build of Chimera, OpenSauce users can emulate what SAPP is currently capable of doing with lua scripting, unless that assumption is also incorrect. I understand there's a large difference between what is capable of being performed with a server-side application, and one of a host-and-play setup.

1 hour ago, Bungie LLC said:

I made a horrible mistake. I used "SAPP scripting" interchangeably with "lua scripting," without even realizing it. Sorry if that came off as foolish.

The idea is still the same, however, that with lua scripting features within this test build of Chimera, OpenSauce users can emulate what SAPP is currently capable of doing with lua scripting, unless that assumption is also incorrect. I understand there's a large difference between what is capable of being performed with a server-side application, and one of a host-and-play setup.

Chimera's Lua scripting functionality is currently limited in terms of callbacks, but you do have full access to reading and writing to Halo's virtual memory like SAPP, thus you can edit tag data.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1noKt8eTJE_8ozxT_RSbBYx2PPciw5hYOdxLgTm9fSyM/

aLTis has been the only person who has directly tested this, and he was able to do things like sync bipeds (he used console messages and rcon for this) as well as adding HUD swaying when walking.

You could just switch FP arms gbxmodel dependancy in globals.globals depending on player's current biped, I think that could work. I made FP hands switching for revolution maps using very hacky ways of scrolling textures and it's not the most efficient way of doing it but it worked.

ST34MF0X likes this

08f9474ede.jpg

Been keeping my eye on this, and I have to say that this extension is awesome.

I have one question, however. How does one go about compiling a lua script into their .map file? 

Keep up the great work 002! 

54 minutes ago, Nickster5000 said:

Been keeping my eye on this, and I have to say that this extension is awesome.

I have one question, however. How does one go about compiling a lua script into their .map file? 

Keep up the great work 002! 

For compiling, you can compile the Lua script if you want to, but it's not required to insert into a map. To compile, you'll need to run luac on your Lua script. While there are several advantages for doing so (slightly shorter load times and prevent users from tampering with your script), your script will only work for the Lua version and architecture you used with luac. For more information, check here: https://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/luac.html

For loading it into a map file, the Lua script can be inserted into the map file using a tool I wrote, or it can be loaded if it's found in the chimera_lua folder. The latter part is useful for testing.