What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Kru

"Everything's fucking shit" Thread

3,501 posts in this topic

so last night around 8 or so, i asked my little brother for help getting the airconditioner out of the window (it's in a really shitty spot with a heavy dresser in front of it). As soon as i opened the fucking window about 14 stink bugs crawl into the room, no big deal sweep them up. A few wasps also came in, he delt with those as i'm alergic. at this point i want to move the AC out to the garage, he refuses and puts it on the dresser "it will be fine". as soon as he leaves the room wasps started crawling out of it, so delt with those. then more came out and at this point i said fuck it and slept downstairs. killed more this morning and moved the AC out of the room, opened the window to find 20 more wasps on the windowsil and immediately slammed the window shut, locked it, and left the room again. Seems to be fine now but i'm not opening that window...

Who am I but myself?

Tiddy-bits:

Anyone ever had their hands get so dry that they cracked like this?

20171010_152449.jpg

Feels real nice. =D

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

10 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

Anyone ever had their hands get so dry that they cracked like this?

20171010_152449.jpg

Feels real nice. =D

Happens to me pretty much every winter.

Started applying for new jobs. I'm wearing too many hats and I'm tired of being the central point of failure in everything that happens to this project and projects I'm not even charged for (ie, giving a helping hand). Give me one job and let me do it well. That's all I ask. 

Edited by Solaris
Krazychic, Iggy, Pra3tor1an and 1 other like this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

2 hours ago, Solaris said:

Started applying for new jobs. I'm wearing too many hats and I'm tired of being the central point of failure in everything that happens to this project nad projects I'm not even charged for (ie, giving a helping hand). Give me one job and let me do it well. That's all I ask. 

As much as I agree with your sentiments I fear you'll most likely have a hard time finding a a job where you'll be allowed to just one job as you'd like.

You'd probably have a specific job as your main focus or title but in today's climate you're very likely to be pulled into other people's tasks at least from time to time almost anywhere you work. It's been that way for me through 40 plus years working full time positions for various employers especially with everyone trying these days to do "more with less".

Solaris likes this

3 hours ago, Iggy said:

As much as I agree with your sentiments I fear you'll most likely have a hard time finding a a job where you'll be allowed to just one job as you'd like.

You'd probably have a specific job as your main focus or title but in today's climate you're very likely to be pulled into other people's tasks at least from time to time almost anywhere you work. It's been that way for me through 40 plus years working full time positions for various employers especially with everyone trying these days to do "more with less".

It's a little bit more than juggling different tasks throughout the day outside of my job description. A lot of stuff is gray area requests, a lot of hats I'm not technically supposed to wear and it always makes me feel uncomfortable and paranoid. The clients like to cut corners by doing something without going through the proper processes and then points the finger at people when they get called out for it later on. I'm not going to get thrown under the bus for other people's incompetence and laziness.

Krazychic and Iggy like this

1 hour ago, Solaris said:

It's a little bit more than juggling different tasks throughout the day outside of my job description. A lot of stuff is gray area requests, a lot of hats I'm not technically supposed to wear and it always makes me feel uncomfortable and paranoid. The clients like to cut corners by doing something without going through the proper processes and then points the finger at people when they get called out for it later on. I'm not going to get thrown under the bus for other people's incompetence and laziness.

Sounds remarkably like a typical work week at my job.

The problem here is that a lot of supervision here are Engineers by education and in my experience are not always the most practical people.

They're constantly trying to "reinvent the wheel" and in the process making things harder than they have to be.

There's also a culture of blame constantly going here which doesn't make things any easier.

Solaris likes this

1 minute ago, Iggy said:

The problem here is that a lot of supervision here are Engineers by education and in my experience are not always the most practical people.

Oh gods, yes. Instead of improving upon one concept or expanding, "Nope, we gotta start from the bottom up from scratch with something completely new." 

It's a ridiculous waste of time and money. 

My ears hurt. For the past few days, I've been hearing ringing in them and they feel like they have pressure, and I've had episodes of vertigo.

Anyway, I went to the doctor today, and they did find some fluid in my right ear, so I'm going to take medicine for that for a while to hopefully clear it up. Fortunately, I haven't been diagnosed with Meniere's disease, but that does run in the family.