What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phlo

Halo 4 Information Topic *Up-To-Date*

New Developer?   16 members have voted

167 posts in this topic

h4.jpg

Release Date: November 6, 2012 (Mark your calenders)

PRE-ORDER NOW

Developer: 343 Industries

Information:

Halo 4 is an upcoming first-person shooter video game and the eighth installment in the Halo franchise being developed for the Xbox 360. Halo 4 is intended to be the first of a new trilogy of Halo series games, named the "Reclaimer Trilogy". Whereas the previous Halo games were developed by Bungie, Halo 4 will be developed by 343 Industries. The game begins 4 years after the ending of Halo 3, and marks the return of the Master Chief as the main protagonist, and AI Cortana. Halo 4 was officially announced on June 4, 2011, at E3 2011. Its development was revealed at the same time as Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary. The game is set for a worldwide release on November 6, 2012.

ARTICLES

Halo 4 Console Available for Pre-order! July 12

Microsoft has announced a limited edition Halo 4 console bundle. Available for pre-order now, the bundle includes a copy of the standard edition of Halo 4 and a 320GB system.
halo610.jpg

The History of Halo July 10
"Halo Killer" became part of the gaming lexicon, applied to any title that presumed to take the crown from the most successful first-person shooter of its time. Only one other franchise has arguably made that climb (that'd be Call of Duty). But nothing else can claim billions of online matches played, hundreds of accolades and awards, a highly successful multimedia empire, sales records shattered by more sales records, and a launch that single-handedly turned a two-horse console race into a three-way war. Halo was itself a game-changer, simultaneously putting new and untested hardware on the map while announcing the end of PC-shooter dominance with authority.

Halo 4 On Tablets?? July 11
He didn't make it clear how the Surface tablet would integrate with Halo 4, though it's possible that the company will make use of SmartGlass technology shown at E3 to create a secondary touch-screen display for the console.

Halo 4 MP Requires 8GB Memory July 3rd
Microsoft also "highly recommends" using an in-built hard drive for the "optimal experience".

Six Awesome Changes To Halo 4 Multiplayer June 6th
Assassinations are old, indeed, but the way they're handled in Halo 4 is just delightful. The Hologram returns alongside a couple other favorite Armor Abilities, but the trio of sexy new skills definitely messes with the rhythm of Halo's competitive game. Scored a few kills without dying and earned enough points? Congrats, you've got three ordinance options... It's a simple spin on Juggernaut or VIP, but this free-for-all mode puts the first-place player in everyone's crosshairs. Character loadouts are highly customizable, both cosmetically and in meaningful gameplay ways.It's an alien shotgun that ricochets off floors and walls to disintegrate Spartan soldiers. Their armor, skin, and bones look like a tissue caught in a campfire.
Takka likes this

facesig.png

Tiddy-bits:

Nice =] everything condensed into one place.

Personally I've lost all interest in the Halo series after Reach. It has been clear that sticking to established cannon isn't a priority and that building the game on gameplay first is their approach. It certainly isn't wrong, but story being of a certain level of quality and importance is what made me a Halo fan to begin with. It seems to have all been dumbed down for a younger less serious crowd. The gameplay is almost as anti-competitive as it gets while still being an action shooter (primarily the randomized weapons and their spawn times) as well as a cartoony take on combat and action scenes.

The game isn't bad, but it isn't Halo, and it certainly isn't Bungies Halo. I've realized the only way I can appreciate the game is if I pretend it's not trying to be what it isn't.

Either way, I wont be purchasing the game.

Also, they totally stole the BR2 dicer >.>

Skeezix the Cat and phlo like this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

They took the best bits of Halo 3 and the best bits of Reach, stolen a couple bionicle designs from Lego and classed it as a game. Bungie should be proud that even though they're no longer working on Halo, their idea's are still thriving.

The little shits also stole the Dicer, from all my mods Tucker stole.

Edited by Sceny
phlo likes this

If we are bringing up guns they should have stolen i would suggest the M99 Gauss Rifle, Ill buy it gust for the heck of wasteing my money i doubt the story will interest me, so im looking forward to the gameplay aspect of it.

Overall im not going to be closed minded about it but i doubt it will live up to any of bungie's halo games.

PfXuCLa.png

Nice =] everything condensed into one place.

Personally I've lost all interest in the Halo series after Reach. It has been clear that sticking to established cannon isn't a priority and that building the game on gameplay first is their approach. It certainly isn't wrong, but story being of a certain level of quality and importance is what made me a Halo fan to begin with.

First of all, from what I've seen/heard from 343 Industries, it looks like Halo 4 is going to have a hell of a lot more story to it than previous games. The games only scratched the surface of the lore and I don't see how you could ever think they're doing less. Second, this is a video game. I absolutely despise the idea that canon should dictate things that would affect direct gameplay. Gameplay should always come first in a game.
It seems to have all been dumbed down for a younger less serious crowd. The gameplay is almost as anti-competitive as it gets while still being an action shooter (primarily the randomized weapons and their spawn times) as well as a cartoony take on combat and action scenes.
Creating a larger weapon sandbox, reducing aim assist, faster movement speeds and jump height that's similar to Halo 3 creates a "dumbed down" environment as well as an anti-competitive environment? That makes 0 sense to me what so ever. So far it looks to be a hell of a better than Reach in those regards. Also, if you're looking for a competitive environment, I'm sure the MLG playlist will be around to host specialized maps/gametypes like they have since Halo 3's matchmaking.
The game isn't bad, but it isn't Halo, and it certainly isn't Bungies Halo. I've realized the only way I can appreciate the game is if I pretend it's not trying to be what it isn't.

Either way, I wont be purchasing the game.

Every single person that I have ever seen talk about the game that has played it swears that it feels like Halo. Saying things like customized loadouts have completely toppled what Halo plays like is absolutely ignorant. There's a hell of a lot more to Halo than that and I think it's an insult to the entire franchise to act like it was ruined by a system just because it's similar to what Call of Duty has. You know, even though Call of Duty didn't invent any of this stuff...
Also, they totally stole the BR2 dicer >.>

You mean the Flak Cannon from Unreal Tournament?

By the way, I hope you know I don't mean to be rude by any of this. :P

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - Kavawuvi

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

Gameplay should always come first in a game.

Not all games.

Creating a larger weapon sandbox, reducing aim assist, faster movement speeds and jump height that's similar to Halo 3 creates a "dumbed down" environment as well as an anti-competitive environment?

What I'n referring to is the various luck factors they've thrown into firefights. Rather weapons, random weapons spawns, random enforcement power drops. In those aspects there is almost no room for planned strategy, dumbing down the combat so that it's just a mash up of uncontrolled carnage. I had a very similar setup like that for Halo 3 in forge sort of to be a joke. Everyone was given random weapons and put in a small room where they destroyed everything. The entire battle became based on whoever was luckiest at first spawn. It was a hell of a lot of fun, but there was 0 strategy to it. While this comparison certainly isn't the same, a lot of what I said applies.

Also, a large sandbox is often the first mistake made when it comes to FPS gameplay design. Redundant and unnecessary weapons hurt gameplay rather than help, it isn't an RTS where you're constantly looking for a better upgrade. An RTS sandbox doesn't work in a shooter.

"Balance by adding strengths, not weaknesses, give each piece a purpose and do not create redundant roles. Diversity is key, however keep in mind any new roles created must be able to fit into the existing gameplay model. A weapon can be cool and technically impressive, but if it has no other real purpose, it will only get in the way of gameplay. Do not make additions just to have them.

It is also important to keep in mind that fairness on its own is not balance, giving pieces specific roles allows for power weapons, long range weapons, short range, etc. There should be a piece for every encounter, rounded enough to compete but not ideal for every situation. In short; do not make all purpose weapons. Resulting gameplay encounters require the player to use more thought when it comes to approaching a situation, to know when to attack and change the situation to fit their capability. Fast paced gameplay is fun, however allowing (not forcing) the player to think and outwit their enemies is a great deal more so."

Every single person that I have ever seen talk about the game that has played it swears that it feels like Halo. Saying things like customized loadouts have completely toppled what Halo plays like is absolutely ignorant. There's a hell of a lot more to Halo than that and I think it's an insult to the entire franchise to act like it was ruined by a system just because it's similar to what Call of Duty has. You know, even though Call of Duty didn't invent any of this stuff...

There's a difference between adding originality and spicing things up vs taking 5 steps back. From a gameplay standpoint I wouldn't hold it much higher than Halo 1.

You mean the Flak Cannon from Unreal Tournament?

The Dicer from Bomb Run 2 =p

I'm kidding, but they are shockingly similar. A shotgun weapon that fires yellow projectiles with vibrant contrails which projects bounce off walls and almost always inflict instant kills with an elaborate death =p

Sceny and phlo like this

Not all games.

In an FPS like Halo, yes. Very much so in fact. Game balance means everything in a FPS.
What I'n referring to is the various luck factors they've thrown into firefights. Rather weapons, random weapons spawns, random enforcement power drops. In those aspects there is almost no room for planned strategy, dumbing down the combat so that it's just a mash up of uncontrolled carnage. I had a very similar setup like that for Halo 3 in forge sort of to be a joke. Everyone was given random weapons and put in a small room where they destroyed everything. The entire battle became based on whoever was luckiest at first spawn. It was a hell of a lot of fun, but there was 0 strategy to it. While this comparison certainly isn't the same, a lot of what I said applies.
The system isn't random what so ever. The only reason people keep calling it "random" is because of that Game Informer issue. If you actually take care to look at the weapon drop system you'll easily see there's nothing random about it at all. It just sounds like you're terribly misinformed due to that GI issue and the community's initial reactions to it. Read up a bit more on how it really works.
Also, a large sandbox is often the first mistake made when it comes to FPS gameplay design. Redundant and unnecessary weapons hurt gameplay rather than help, it isn't an RTS where you're constantly looking for a better upgrade. An RTS sandbox doesn't work in a shooter.
Redundant and unnecessary weapons are a constant in the Halo franchise. There are more useless weapons in the Halo games than useful. So far it looks like the sandbox looks pretty balanced. It looks better in those terms than Reach and 2 did.
"Balance by adding strengths, not weaknesses, give each piece a purpose and do not create redundant roles. Diversity is key, however keep in mind any new roles created must be able to fit into the existing gameplay model. A weapon can be cool and technically impressive, but if it has no other real purpose, it will only get in the way of gameplay. Do not make additions just to have them.

It is also important to keep in mind that fairness on its own is not balance, giving pieces specific roles allows for power weapons, long range weapons, short range, etc. There should be a piece for every encounter, rounded enough to compete but not ideal for every situation. In short; do not make all purpose weapons. Resulting gameplay encounters require the player to use more thought when it comes to approaching a situation, to know when to attack and change the situation to fit their capability. Fast paced gameplay is fun, however allowing (not forcing) the player to think and outwit their enemies is a great deal more so."

There's a difference between adding originality and spicing things up vs taking 5 steps back. From a gameplay standpoint I wouldn't hold it much higher than Halo 1.

Like I said before, the sandbox looks fine in these regards and Halo has a history of having too many weapons that make no sense in the game. The utility weapons in all Halos have been "All purpose weapons". The pistol in Halo: Combat Evolved being the most notorious of them all.

Fast paced gameplay does not take away from strategy at all. Look at Unreal Tournament and Quake competitive matches then tell me with a straight face there's not as much strategy as any other slower paced game. In fact, when you have fast paced games you have to think faster. it just adds to the need for strategic thinking while also adding a much higher core combat skill.

The Dicer from Bomb Run 2 =p

I'm kidding, but they are shockingly similar. A shotgun weapon that fires yellow projectiles with vibrant contrails which projects bounce off walls and almost always inflict instant kills with an elaborate death =p

I know. I've played it before. :P If you don't realize, a Flak Cannon is essentially a shogun that shoots orange projectiles with vibrant contrails which bounce off walls and almost always inflict instant kills when close enough.

4VWJfoZ.gif

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

Game balance means everything in a FPS.

Most certainly, I never disagreed. But a focus on story first should always be first the priority of any game that expected to have any sort implemented. More often than not, building a solid story first ensures a better balanced and efficient sandbox, which, isn't that always the end goal? Giving a game context for development goes a long way, a story does that.

The system isn't random what so ever. The only reason people keep calling it "random" is because of that Game Informer issue. If you actually take care to look at the weapon drop system you'll easily see there's nothing random about it at all. It just sounds like you're terribly misinformed due to that GI issue and the community's initial reactions to it. Read up a bit more on how it really works.

Redundant and unnecessary weapons are a constant in the Halo franchise. There are more useless weapons in the Halo games than useful. So far it looks like the sandbox looks pretty balanced. It looks better in those terms than Reach and 2 did.

Like I said before, the sandbox looks fine in these regards and Halo has a history of having too many weapons that make no sense in the game. The utility weapons in all Halos have been "All purpose weapons". The pistol in Halo: Combat Evolved being the most notorious of them all.

The only place I have gotten my Halo 4 information is from Waypoint sources, which if I'm not mistaken, is run by 343 themselves.

The Halo 1 pistol was a broken piece of the sandbox, even the sandbox designer who created it admitted that =p

As for redundancy, Bungie learned their lesson with Halo 2, and have since done what they could to move away from that, ending with Reach which has few redundant roles. That's not opinion either, they publicly realized their mistake.

Working on many sandboxes myself, I also concur with their realization.

Fast paced gameplay does not take away from strategy at all. Look at Unreal Tournament and Quake competitive matches then tell me with a straight face there's not as much strategy as any other slower paced game. In fact, when you have fast paced games you have to think faster. it just adds to the need for strategic thinking while also adding a much higher core combat skill.

You completely misinterpreted what was said. It was a point that fast paced gameplay does not necessarily make great gameplay on its own.

Most certainly, I never disagreed. But a focus on story first should always be first the priority of any game that expected to have any sort implemented. More often than not, building a solid story first ensures a better balanced and efficient sandbox, which, isn't that always the end goal? Giving a game context for development goes a long way, a story does that.

I don't see how, in any way, Halo 4 is lacking in that. It looks like we're getting a hell of a lot more lore than any other previous game and we're getting an episodic story driven mode in Spartan Ops. This has to be the most story driven Halo to date so I dare say that argument is completely invalid towards Halo 4.
The only place I have gotten my Halo 4 information is from Waypoint sources, which if I'm not mistaken, is run by 343 themselves.

The Halo 1 pistol was a broken piece of the sandbox, even the sandbox designer who created it admitted that =p

As for redundancy, Bungie learned their lesson with Halo 2, and have since done what they could to move away from that, ending with Reach which has few redundant roles. That's not opinion either, they publicly realized their mistake.

Working on many sandboxes myself, I also concur with their realization.

If you got all your sources from waypoint then why were you calling them random? Point me to where 343 Industries calls them random.

Redundant weapons ended in Reach? Plasma Rifle/Plasma Repeater. Needle Rifle/DMR/Magnum. Rocket Launcher/Plasma Launcher/Spartan Laser. Shotgun/Energy Sword. These are all weapons that have personal preference to them. When you're making the choice between DMR/BR/Carbine in Halo 4, you're going to be making that decision out of personal preference. The BR and Carbine filled the same roles in Halo 3 and I always chose the Carbine because I preferred it. I'm sure they're paying close attention making sure it's like this for Halo 4 as well.

You completely misinterpreted what was said. It was a point that fast paced gameplay does not necessarily make great gameplay on its own.

Most competitive Halo players agreed that Halo: Reach was all around too slow and Halo 3's pace was perfect for this. That's why 343 focused on that as the target pace. For Halo's style of play, the faster pace is perfect. As I said before, everyone I've heard from that has played it loves the faster pace of the game now and it definitely adds to the game's competitiveness. It's very much the opposite of a dumb down. Edited by As7raios

4VWJfoZ.gif

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0