What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Krazychic

Female traffic light signals to go up at pedestrian crossing

148901846625347.jpg

Ten female pedestrian figures will be installed on traffic lights at the intersection of Swanston and Flinders streets as part of a VicRoads-approved 12-month trial.

Spoiler

The Committee for Melbourne — a non-profit organisation comprising more than 120 Melbourne business and community groups — is behind the move.

Chief executive Martine Letts said having only green or red silhouettes of men discriminated against women.

"The idea is to install traffic lights with female representation, as well as male representation, to help reduce unconscious bias," she said.

Ms Letts said the group wanted to see female and male representation on all pedestrian crossings.

"We know that Melbourne is the world's most liveable city and we would really like to see Melbourne also known as the world's most equal city.

"The aim is to move towards one-to-one male and female representation across the state of Victoria."

It costs an average of $8,400 to change six traffic lights.

Ms Letts said some people had questioned the move, but said the program was backed by Victorian Governor Linda Dessau.

"Some people have expressed a little scepticism wondering whether it's gesture politics rather than having any real substance," she said.

"But these symbols are a practical and meaningful way to demonstrate that in fact 50 per cent of our population is female and should therefore also be represented at traffic lights."

Minister for Women Fiona Richardson said the use of a woman's figure on pedestrian crossings would make public space more inclusive of women.

"There are many small — but symbolically significant — ways that women are excluded from public space," she said in a statement.

"A culture of sexism is made up of very small issues, like how the default pedestrian crossings use a male figure — and large issues such as the rate of family violence facing women."

Evan Mulholland from the Institute of Public Affairs think tank labelled the move "politically correct gesturing by policy makers that want to feel good about themselves".

"Ordinary Victorians are concerned about job security, rising crime and transport infrastructure," he said.

The program has been funded by the Committee for Melbourne and Bayswater company Camlex Electrical.

Ms Richardson said taxpayer money had not gone into the initiative.

Last year the City of Yarra paid tribute to Victoria's first female councillor, Mary Rogers, by placing her silhouette in a pedestrian crossing at a major intersection in Richmond.

Source

Tiddy-bits:

I think it's an excellent idea for us to waste our time arguing over stupid bullshit like stick figure gender; let's ignore privacy concerns and government overreach worldwide.

Who even said that the standard stick figure was supposed to be male? It just represents a person. When they can't find bullshit that already exists to distract us from real issues, they invent it on their own.

Edited by TCK
Solaris and PerfectDark like this

Umh7x1l.gif

On 3/8/2017 at 6:13 PM, TCK said:

I think it's an excellent idea for us to waste our time arguing over stupid bullshit like stick figure gender; let's ignore privacy concerns and government overreach worldwide.

Who even said that the standard stick figure was supposed to be male? It just represents a person. When they can't find bullshit that already exists to distract us from real issues, they invent it on their own.

Seems to be a lot of stupid shit going on these days that mirrors this crossing signal. Not the women vs. men issue, but as a larger picture. Who gives a shit what gender the stick figure is? I remember a teacher at my community college changing his desk phone to pink and when shit hit the fan, even the parents started raising unnecessary concern.

Moreover, it's like people will talk just to talk, I don't get it. There's a certain threshold of words that need to be said in any given situation.... I'm visualizing one of my youth center leaders I had as a kid, he'd talk and tell people more information than was needed. It always baffled me.

This whole PC culture also...lol the more I think about it the more irritated I get. If there's anything that makes me squirt liquid hate out of every bodily orifice it's stuff like that.

qLaaeEJ.png

I'm from Melbourne, and at first I supported it. But now I think it'd be easier if we just make 'Go' a green tick, and 'Don't go 'a red cross.

Maybe taking the human element out of the lights entirely is the way to go in the name of equality and consistency.

Takka, Sceny and Krazychic like this

6 hours ago, IkaBula said:

I'm from Melbourne, and at first I supported it. But now I think it'd be easier if we just make 'Go' a green tick, and 'Don't go 'a red cross.

Maybe taking the human element out of the lights entirely is the way to go in the name of equality and consistency.

Stating the bloody obvious, I like it!!!