Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lambdacomplex

Gridlock (unfinished map by English Mobster)

11 posts in this topic

Was digging around in some of my old files when I found this. the PB1 and PB2 of Gridlock, a unreleased and unfinished map by English Mobster. End bit from me is somehow eaten and part of the quote so yeah.

Basically, Gridlock is a medium-sized map, a "sequel" to Domain of sorts.
It is located south of Domain, past the Pelican and the wooden door, and is almost completely based off of ODST concept art.
The map is larger than Domain, but there is an attempt to blend close-range combat (interior sections serving as a shortcut between bases/fight for the rocket spawn), medium-range combat (fighting within the bases themselves), and long-range combat (the "Main Street" of the level, serving as the Warthog passageway).
Anyway, pictures:
Overhead concept:
Untitled-4.png
Pictures are arranged in chronological order, newest up top.
11/3/09:
YAY FOR COMPLETE REMODELING.
westgate-8.jpg
9/6:
gridlock_render_1-3.jpg
This render has just had a bit of cleanup done, some new Mat IDs were in place, and there was some detailing done up at the top of the mall. Other than that, there aren't any real changes.
trainstation-2.jpg
I've tried to make the train station less cardboard-y by taking out a massive chunk of the roof.
Also, I was thinking back to the Domain betas way back when and remembered how a single entrance to any structure is bad news when it comes to Oddball camping. As such, I added in a tiny hole near the base of the Train Station which leads into the station itself.
While it's not readily apparent in the render, there IS some rebar supporting it, the render's just at a bad angle.
halo-3-odst-20081227114040770.jpg
westgate.jpg
The "West Gate", the gate which Blue Team can close to send their base into lockdown for 30 seconds, shows off the main part of the mall. The right side of the render needs some detail work, shops need to be placed, etc. In the middle right-hand side of the render, you can see some broken windows, serving as one of the 2 main sniper nests for Blue base.
You can tell I've made some deviations from the concept art for this one, in order to provide a place for the flag (in the mall, at the top of the escalators) and to add in some other gameplay mechanics (sniper nests, gate, etc.).
As for the middle and left sides of the render, this is one of the main courtyards for the Mall. I'm still going about adding in lights and little details to make it seem less plain and "blocky", but you can see the basics of gameplay. The escalators serve as the primary way to the Blue flag, and you can see a BIT of the hallway which marks the secondary path to the flag. The secondary flag path also doubles as the entrance to the blue's other sniper nest, which you can see a part of next to the escalators.
There is also a Warthog near the center of the picture, marking where one of the 2 Warthogs will spawn for the Blue team. The pavement hasn't been UVW'd yet, so just ignore it for now.
You can also see in the render the other side of Domain's "Wooden Gate", which was one of the few sections of the old District this mall was built on not demolished to build this mall.
escalators-1.jpg
This is a better overview of the Blue base.
You can see the second Warthog spawn and the Blue's second sniper nest quite easily in this one. The sniper nest is below the "Shelter" sign, and the Warthog spawn is below the sniper nest.
Next to the 'Hog is the escalators, which will mark the way up to the Blue flag. You can also see the other half of the hallway for the secondary way to access the flag.
Moving lower, you can see an extrusion jutting out from the sidewalk, with what will eventually be a planter in the middle. Since there's no trees in it as of yet and the angle of the render keeps you from seeing the dirt, it looks like crap. It'll look a lot nicer once the trees get put in.
I feel like the entire blue base is too blocky, and, as such, I'll be putting in some more details here and there, updating when necessary. Hopefully, it'll look a lot nicer come beta/release.
8/28:
picture.php?albumid=157&pictureid=1189
picture.php?albumid=157&pictureid=1190
8/15:
Wraith (yep, another one, been thinking about screwing the concept art and putting a dead Scorpion there):
gridlock_render_1-2.jpg
Concept art:
Halo3-ODST_EnvConcept-06.jpg
Train Station (I must stress this: THERE IS NO SMOOTHING.):
trainstation-1.jpg
Anyway, from my past experience, posting the renders early as possible while having them look semi-good seems to generate the best possible crit.
This thread will be updated every time I make some bit of progress, so keep your eyes peeled, ladies and gents.

The above is a repost of the original topic on Halomaps. EM lost the files and gave up, going back shortly to work on it as a TF2 map but that concept failed.

Figure I release this and if anyone wants to finish the job have at it. I dunno how to get in touch with Mobster, but if someone wants to hunt him down you can. I've also got a old beta of his map Domain, which you can find on Halomaps.

Download: https://mega.nz/#F!1oEhiDLb!P0Yr3Yal9EaBvxiFUsYK6A

Also included are some unreleased machinima maps, some really weird test maps a buddy gave to me also I think a beta of yoyorast Island V2 that has a script running at map launch that will CTD you if you don't input a beta code. Said beta code I have no idea since the map is from the time I was testing it with Inferno and Yoyoras

Tucker933, SBBMichelle and aLTis like this

Dislike the ads? Log in or register to never see them again!

Posted (edited)

36 minutes ago, Tucker933 said:

Quite a nicely detailed BSP. Thanks for sharing, but we'll need a download link for this to be a release. =p

I just realized that hang tight

https://mega.nz/#F!1oEhiDLb!P0Yr3Yal9EaBvxiFUsYK6A

Also included are some unreleased machinima maps, some really weird test maps a buddy gave to me also I think a beta of yoyorast Island V2 that has a script running at map launch that will CTD you if you don't input a beta code. Said beta code I have no idea since the map is from the time I was testing it with Inferno and Yoyorast

Edited by Lambdacomplex

5 hours ago, Lambdacomplex said:

https://mega.nz/#F!1oEhiDLb!P0Yr3Yal9EaBvxiFUsYK6A

Also included are some unreleased machinima maps, some really weird test maps a buddy gave to me also I think a beta of yoyorast Island V2 that has a script running at map launch that will CTD you if you don't input a beta code. Said beta code I have no idea since the map is from the time I was testing it with Inferno and Yoyorast

Added that to the OP for ya.

Posted (edited)

In any case hope people can find use for these.  I think TLMP mindfuck is in there, if not I dunno. It's that map in the SAPP script request thread I mentioned as a reward for completion of the script.

Oh on a side note, gridlock as is is mostly playable. Seems some polish just needed. but a majority of the map is playable

Edited by Lambdacomplex
Tucker933 likes this

Sorry, sorry, sorry.  Probably just my own issues, but:

Are these maps only for Halo CE?

Using MdRenamer, it just gives an error message and says "That's not a valid Halo map file."

If I put them in my maps folder, they do not appear when creating a game.

(I am using HaloMD (Insert extremely sad face here))

If they are exclusive to Halo CE, is there any way to use them on HaloMD?

And yes, TLMP mindfuck is in there.

Thanks for those maps anyway, and sorry if they're stupid questions.

Scrounging my computer and some old file repos I have I;ve found some stuff non-Halo related.

Probably gonna upload the PB2 of Gridlock to halomaps since it's mostly complete and it should give it more exposure.

So, I played this map last saturday with SBB when we decided to explore a little and found a turf variant outside of your map. Right after we played the turf map.

A timestamp of the vid when we found it:

That was funny, but I don't know why you would leave that in...

Tucker933 likes this