Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Arbiter

New RX480 has ruined everything

16 posts in this topic

Cheers for the suggestions everyone.

On 2/12/2017 at 9:36 PM, Tucker933 said:

Try doing at least half an hour. I know you had issues much more quickly in game, but different applications can stress in very different ways.

If you still don't have issue, I'd recommend trying one more thing before entirely ruling out the GPU: Try underclocking the core and memory by at least 100MHz, and test in game where you were having issues before.

I ran it for just over 30 minutes a couple of days ago and had no issues. Then I tried underclocking in the AMD Settings Wattman (I'm not really sure what I'm doing with stuff like this but I followed an online guide for it) and I tried GTA again. I was able to play for about half an hour which gave me some hope, only for it to crash again.

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

15 minutes ago, The Arbiter said:

I tried underclocking in the AMD Settings Wattman (I'm not really sure what I'm doing with stuff like this but I followed an online guide for it) and I tried GTA again. I was able to play for about half an hour which gave me some hope, only for it to crash again.

So it is consistently better then?

On 2/17/2017 at 9:40 PM, Tucker933 said:

So it is consistently better then?

Yep, whenever I underclock I can play for a longer period of time than I can without doing it. It still crashes eventually though.

15 minutes ago, The Arbiter said:

Yep, whenever I underclock I can play for a longer period of time than I can without doing it. It still crashes eventually though.

It's most definitely the GPU then; RMA that sucker.

Skeezix the Cat likes this

23 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

It's most definitely the GPU then; RMA that sucker.

4 hours ago, Skeezix the Cat said:

What Tucker said.  You got a really poor quality chip unfortunately

Thanks guys, just put the card in my flatmate's PC and was getting the same issues (just to double check), so I'm gonna RMA it.

Cheers for the help.

Takka933 likes this