Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Arbiter

New RX480 has ruined everything

16 posts in this topic

Hello friends.

I've been having non-stop issues with my new GPU, a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 4GB. Basically, since I put it in my PC, almost every game crashes at some point. Sometimes the game will completely crash, other times it'll briefly freeze and then return to normal (which is still annoying). I know there's some smart folks lurking around here so I was hoping you could help me.

In GTA V specifically I can play for maybe 3 or 4 minutes before the game crashing and getting an "application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" message from windows. In Event Viewer, shortly before the game crashes I tend to get one or more "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." messages.

My specs:

GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 4GB

CPU: Intel i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: ECS H61H2-MV

PSU: Corsair CX500W

I've checked temperatures and power usage with GPU-Z and everything seems fine, the computer itself doesn't crash just the application. I've tried a clean install of the drivers with DDU, as well as basically every solution I found with a google search, aside from reinstalling Windows 10 as I only really want to do that as a last resort.

I'm suspicious of my motherboard as I got this computer pre-built and they seemed to have cheaped out on everything not advertised as a selling point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you need any more details let me know. Thanks!

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

1 minute ago, Tucker933 said:

Try grabbing FurMark and running a stress test, to rule out most everything else.

Yeah I've tried Furmark already, the temperature got quite high (75-80) but stabilised once it got there. Didn't seem to cause any issues, unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess).

You might have a faulty GPU.

AMD's new drivers are made to manage power and keep the card cool. There hasn't been any critical news on it causing issues, so I don't think that's the problem.

Who did you get this pre-build from?

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure."-Somewhere on the internet  

26 minutes ago, The Arbiter said:

Yeah I've tried Furmark already, the temperature got quite high (75-80) but stabilised once it got there. Didn't seem to cause any issues, unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess).

How long did you run it?

Just now, The Arbiter said:

About 10 mins

Try doing at least half an hour. I know you had issues much more quickly in game, but different applications can stress in very different ways.

If you still don't have issue, I'd recommend trying one more thing before entirely ruling out the GPU: Try underclocking the core and memory by at least 100MHz, and test in game where you were having issues before.

The Arbiter likes this

I'd also try other tests in addition to Furmark if you're looking for stability issues.

Unigine Heaven and Valley are free like Furmark. They aren't going to turn your card into a furnace, but they're very useful for testing overclocks. There's also 3DMark which can be obtained from Steam, which the demo version has a DirectX 12 test, Time Spy.

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2

competent.png

You said since you put your gpu in, this prebuilt system so I take it that you've upgraded?

Could you try another gpu in your system to rule out any other issues