What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Takka

Nixie Tube Clock - Boulder by Makenology

20 posts in this topic

20170209_144841.jpg

Product on Amazon

I was in need of a new clock and felt like getting something more unique, so I checked out Nixie Tube clocks. This was the only one I saw on Amazon with good reviews, and a comparably reasonable price.

It displays time down to the second, which has so far been accurate, and it can also be set to display the date 50 seconds into every minute. It's oddly powered by 2.1 amp USB, which is kind of nice, and comes with a suitable AC adapter.

According to the seller, the tubes themselves have a warranty of just 3 months (however replacement tubes are readily available), while the base has a warranty of 1 year. The packaging and overall quality of the product seem very good, despite having it shipped directly from a seemingly personal address in Taiwan.

• Sleek design and modular tubes.
  • Supports all time and date formats.
  • Keeps time even without power for at least a couple weeks (didn't test longer).

Dislikes

• Impossible to figure out how to set without the manual, and even then it's not particularly clear.
  • The buttons at the back for settings feel very cheap, with their extreme wobble and strong detents.
  • One of the tubes experienced cathode poisoning and died after almost 3 months, however it was still covered under warranty and a replacement was promptly mailed to me.
  • Accuracy of the timekeeping is comparable to a digital watch. Clock is roughly 1 second faster every day, adding up to about a 1 minute inaccuracy over 2 months.
Vaporeon, WaeV, Pra3tor1an and 1 other like this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Tiddy-bits:

Just now, Krazychic said:

Ohhh it's a lot smaller than I thought but still pretty neat.

I was surprised as well, but still quite like it.

Krazychic likes this

Here's a closeup of the tubes:

20170211_135624.jpg

It didn't come out in the picture, but there's an eerie blue glow around each lit digit.

DiSiAC likes this

I remember when I was a child, our TV had one of these to tell you the channel number! The remote was sonic and used to drive the cat mad lol

DiSiAC and Takka like this

8269120180172123489.png

Amazingly, this keeps time when without power for at least a couple hours (didn't test longer).

Must have a beefy capacitor in it? Quite an unexpected feature.

For those who want a nixie clock but are turned off by the expense, VFD (vacuum fluorescent display) is another technology that's only slightly newer than nixie tubes and is a cheaper alternative. It can look similar, but blue instead of orange:

vfd-22.jpg

There are a few different kinds:

IV18Cl_01.jpg

Takka likes this

That second one looks pretty sweet.