What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Takka

Nixie Tube Clock - Boulder by Makenology

20 posts in this topic

I've always liked these. I thought people were using old tubes because they weren't in production anymore or have they come back?

Tiddy-bits:

No use for them outside of style anymore, but still made!

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

On 4/15/2017 at 9:28 PM, Tucker933 said:

No use for them outside of style anymore, but still made!

Are they? I thought the stockpiles were still large enough.

By way of comparison, literally nobody makes CRT tubes anymore, but there are still enough to be found in stockpiles. Although that's a newer product.

4 hours ago, WaeV said:

Are they? I thought the stockpiles were still large enough.

This clock uses tubes with a modern pin socket to mate directly with the PCB, and the manufacturer talks about their advancements in preventing cathode poisoning.

Annnnd it's funny because not long after I said that, one of my tubes has developed cathode poisoning, so I'm going to have to replace it.

20170427_121121.jpg

WaeV likes this

They were very friendly and prompt when I requested a replacement tube under the warranty, mailing it out that very same day. Though due to the international shipping, I only received it just now.

Amazingly, the clock still had perfectly accurate time even after being unplugged for more than 2 weeks!

Info updated in the OP to reflect this experience.

buttonspectre and WaeV like this

Clock is fast by roughly 1 second every day, adding up to about a 1 minute innacuracy for every 2 months.

That's comparable to the accuracy of a digital watch, but given how annoying this clock is to set, it's annoying squared.

10 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

Clock is fast by roughly 1 second every day, adding up to about a 1 minute innacuracy for every 2 months.

That's comparable to the accuracy of a digital watch, but given how annoying this clock is to set, it's annoying squared.

Rig it to a wifi arduino module to automatically adjust the time based off whatever web service you prefer 

Takka likes this

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

14 minutes ago, DiSiAC said:

Rig it to a wifi arduino module to automatically adjust the time based off whatever web service you prefer 

Not really worth the trouble, as I don't really rely on it for accuracy (PC and phone for that). It's mostly just a novelty device, but figured it was worth mentioning in the review.

2+ Year Update: Still running great and no cathode poisoning beyond that first one posted about here.

They have released a sort of Gen2 version, which from the pictures seems to address the complaints I had about the control buttons: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FHWB4N9/

Not sure I prefer the chassis of the new one though.