What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JennyorAlice

Price of games?

I've noticed that the price of games have climbed up to $50 or $60 a piece.  I remember when games weren't more than $25 to $30 a piece.  How high do you think the price of games have to get before people get hesitant about buying them or they quite buying them altogether? 

Tiddy-bits:

Hah, it's closing on almost two decades since AAA games hit $50. $60 hasn't been too much of a hike, but eventually everything's going to go the way of nVidia's GeForce Now service, probably before it hits an $80 average.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Ask Australians.  AFAIK, they already pay those types of outrageous prices.

ZFkXnuW.png External link

AAA titles are often around that $40-$60 price point and have been for a while. In many AAA games, though, it just seems like you really aren't going to get your money's worth. Most of the time, I try to avoid spending more than $20 on games. I didn't buy DOOM until it dropped from $59.99 to $19.79 on Steam during the Steam Winter Sale and I even bought a second copy for a friend of mine. Sites like https://isthereanydeal.com/ are pretty helpful.

swamp and tarikja like this

Yeah, I rarely buy games at full price these days. I have enough between gaming and projects to keep me busy in between big steam sales. I would be more likely to buy games at the $60 price point if I knew that they were full games like the old days. I hate having to spend $60 for the base game then $10-$15 each for 3+ more expansions to feel like I get the full experience. Reminds me of this:

Dzmg7Xk.jpg

Sceny, Vaporeon and Takka like this

I own tons of games I've never even played, let alone the ones I haven't finished yet. There are also tons more games for the 360 that I'd be interested in buying on the cheeeeeeap if I even felt like I needed more. Very few new releases even interest me and when they do I can still wait until the price drops.

At least now that piracy is basically gone and I have to actually spend money on things.

Skeezix the Cat likes this

I actually see more $50 games now instead of $60 which is what pretty much all of them used to be.  That I can remember, anyway.  I think early on for me they were $30-40, then the 360 came around and everything just kinda went $60

oVoXWXc.png

I don't really remember brand new games being just $25, unless you were buying Greatest Hits titles. I remember during the N64 days when games launched at $80

Here in Canada most new releases are $79.99, meaning with taxes you're looking at a little over $90 for a game. Most games nowadays are nowhere near worth that as many don't give you more than 10 hours of gameplay. There are very few games I have - or would - spend $90 on.

wtgafflrg.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0