Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

RadWolfie

[RESOLVED] Visual Basic (.NET) Feedback

EDIT: It is to remain as "Visual Basic" without "(.Net)" since there is no such thing to exclude .NET framework support in current version.

Calling any Visual Basic developers to this topic. Others are welcome to provide feedback as well.

Since there is VB6 and VB .NET, I'm not entirely sure if Microsoft planning on support Visual Basic without .NET framework. As there is a blog about Visual Basic 14/15 about it. So...

Is it suitable to maintenance "VisualBasic" directory in the API's directory for .NET framework since Visual Studio 2015 does not provide an option to exclude .NET framework. Or it should be "VisualBasic.NET" for Visual Basic .NET application and "VisualBasic" for without .NET framework?

I would like to have it ready in middle of January, 2017 for the future developers.

Edited by RadWolfie
resolved

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

VB6 was released in 1998; 18 years ago.

I'm not entirely sure if Microsoft planning on support Visual Basic without .NET framework

Not to my knowledge. What was that blog post you mentioned, could you link it?

VB.Net is somewhat different from VB6. It looks like VB syntax, but semantically it's closer to C#. Probably easy enough to pick up for a VB6 programmer.

What directory are you talking about? Is this just a naming convention thing? My preference is to name the folder "src" regardless of language.

Kavawuvi likes this

17 hours ago, WaeV said:

VB6 was released in 1998; 18 years ago.

Already knew that, some people still uses it tho. Sorry I didn't mentioned it before.

17 hours ago, WaeV said:

Not to my knowledge. What was that blog post you mentioned, could you link it?

... Turns out Visual Basic 14 is still using .Net framework. Here's the source of the blog: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dn890368.aspx
And VB6 extensions support for Visual Studio 2012+: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=MatthiasFriedrich.VisualBasicToolsforVisualStudio

Turns out I had my mind mixed up with new VB 14 is newly updated version of VB6, I was wrong. :o

17 hours ago, WaeV said:

VB.Net is somewhat different from VB6. It looks like VB syntax, but semantically it's closer to C#. Probably easy enough to pick up for a VB6 programmer.

What directory are you talking about? Is this just a naming convention thing? My preference is to name the folder "src" regardless of language.

I agreed.

As for directory, if you have multi-language support, then you're likely to have all the coding in one bundle (in one directory). However it will create a mess inside just inside the "src" folder, so putting each coding language files in their respective language folder makes it cleaner and easier to update. :cool:

So, I say keep "VisualBasic" folder for now. If someone asked for VB6 support, then "VisualBasicClassic" or the like will be created. Agreed? :D

Implementation counts for a lot more than folder names, lol. Also speaking from experience, multi-language support is a huge hassle. Support one language to start, get that working, then add other languages later if you feel like it.

I totally agree with multi-language support hassle. It took me almost 2 years to finally have full support for another language. At first I thought I understood the standard C API requirement, turns out it was C++ API which create a terrible result for another language. So, I already had worked for another language support since constant update to main project getting stabler. Even major fixes with unit test plugin made a major improvement and found numerous bugs on the way.

Off topic:

For those wishing why I'm making topics for another language support. Here's a link to testing branch I had been working on. Not bad for hobbyist coder huh? :rolleyes: