StarScream

60 FPS and DSR?

I have two questions here:

1) Can I cap Halo to 60FPS? V-Sync is supposed to cap it at my monitors refresh rate which is 60. It doesn't and No-Vsync does the same as V-Sync and the FPS is in the thousands causing coil whine. 30FPS is disgusting. How can I cap it?

2) Is it possible at all to use DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) Or enable Ant-Aliasing some how?

Tiddy-bits:

1) You can try turning on vertical sync in your video card's control panel.

2) Yes and yes. I use SMAA (extract d3d9.dll and injector.ini to your Halo folder).

That's strange. You can force the frame rate through your driver settings, or use an arbitrary FPS cap from a program like RivaTuner (note that capping your frame rate at 60 FPS is NOT the same as turning on VSync - you can still see tearing. for this reason, you should cap your frame rate higher than 60 FPS).

You can use DSR. I actually run Halo at 4K this way, as it's a very non-intensive game that, when running with a frame rate cap, will not be enough for my graphics card to run higher than stock voltages. Something like a GTX 970 should easily run Halo at 4K with a large buffer of FPS to spare.

As for anti-aliasing, you can do this using a direct 3D injector (@giraffe's post links to this) or turn on FXAA through NVIDIA's settings. Either of these should go great with DSR.

120fps is fantastic for ce, i cant play any other way now. i used to have a program that made a batch file to limit game framerate so you would just have to launch the game via the batch file.

The Master Procrastinator

Environment Artist for VKMT 

15 hours ago, 002 said:

That's strange. You can force the frame rate through your driver settings, or use an arbitrary FPS cap from a program like RivaTuner (note that capping your frame rate at 60 FPS is NOT the same as turning on VSync - you can still see tearing. for this reason, you should cap your frame rate higher than 60 FPS).

You can use DSR. I actually run Halo at 4K this way, as it's a very non-intensive game that, when running with a frame rate cap, will not be enough for my graphics card to run higher than stock voltages. Something like a GTX 970 should easily run Halo at 4K with a large buffer of FPS to spare.

As for anti-aliasing, you can do this using a direct 3D injector (@giraffe's post links to this) or turn on FXAA through NVIDIA's settings. Either of these should go great with DSR.

How do I DSR Halo? I have it enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel but it doesn't acknowledge that in game.

39 minutes ago, StarScream said:

How do I DSR Halo? I have it enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel but it doesn't acknowledge that in game.

You enable it in the Nvidia control panel as a global setting, then change the screen resolution to the new resolution.

Alternatively, you can change your Windows settings to the new resolution. All it really does is tell Windows you can have a higher resolution.

I run it at 6880x2880.  I theoretically could tell it to run at 13,760x5760 but there's no need.  Then again, now that I've actually put that number down I want to try it for the sake of science!

edit: anything higher than 2880p causes screen flashing and directX failure.  Darn.

Edited by Skeezix the Cat
DiSiAC likes this

oVoXWXc.png

On 12/9/2016 at 3:21 AM, Skeezix the Cat said:

I run it at 6880x2880.  I theoretically could tell it to run at 13,760x5760 but there's no need.  Then again, now that I've actually put that number down I want to try it for the sake of science!

edit: anything higher than 2880p causes screen flashing and directX failure.  Darn.

Is there a way to DSR the game ONLY without changing my desktops resolution?

3 minutes ago, StarScream said:

Is there a way to DSR the game ONLY without changing my desktops resolution?

Well, yeah.  You don't have to change the desktop resolution.  My game is actually broken somehow and I can't go higher than like 1024x768 if I use the in game graphics settings, so I use a shortcut with the tag -vidmode 6880,2880,60 and that forces it to run at that resolution and refresh rate.  Just have whatever DSR resolution you want to use be enabled in the nvidia control panel.

WaeV likes this

oVoXWXc.png