What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeadHamster

Life

When my Great Grandfather passed many years ago my family gathered at his house afterwards to mourn. We sat telling stories, going through old knickknacks and memories. One in particular was an ornament for Christmas; it was a bell with a pull string, and when pulled it would play a song like a musicbox. 

My great grandfather was 94 when he passed, and that ornament had been pulled one too many times and had become stuck over the years, with the string fully pulled and stuck. It had been that way for at least 20 years at that point, longer than I had been alive at the time. But with my family gathered, in a lull of the laughter between memories, that string came loose and the bell played it's song again. After decades of being stuck, in that one moment it came loose. There was no question; He was saying hello. Letting us know he was fine. 

Today, his daughter, my Grandmother, passed away. I was by her side at the end, holding hands at her bedside. At a point I closed my eyes and felt something alive between our hands, it stayed for maybe 5 or 10 seconds, then the feeling passed and when I opened my eyes so had she. We called my Grandfather in and everybody else rushed by as well. Vassar Hospital sits on the Hudson River in upstate NY. In the early morning the sun was shining across the riverbed, with everybody focused on her I walked across and opened the shades. I knew my grandmother would've liked the view, and I needed my family to be reminded; She was dying in a beautiful place, surrounded by those she loved.

The whole time my Grandmother was in the hospital, every day for weeks, she was visited by a bird on her windowsill. My grandmother had a connection with birds; in our family Grandma found out secrets because "A little birdy told her". My nephew when little would hide from the windows at her house, so that "Your bird can't see me". Even in the hospital they were still checking in on her.

And as it would be that bird landed on the windowsill. Not a minute after the shades were opened; It hopped back and forth just enough for us to notice, and then flew off into the world. There was no question; She was saying hello. Letting us know she was fine.

My whole life I've been a man of function; that which can be seen, that which can be heard. But there are some things in this world no man can give explanation to. Between Christmas Bells and Birds on the Windowsill; I'm not sure about anything anymore. 

Risk, Krazychic, Aurodox and 1 other like this

Tiddy-bits:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0