Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

xvii

2016 Presidential Race Thread

Who would you vote for?   13 members have voted

1. 1. Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton

Please
sign in or register to vote in this poll.
67 posts in this topic

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

1 minute ago, Iggy said:

It scares the living hell out of me that 80% of those casting votes voted for Donald Trump.

I fear for the future of this country.

Its like a trainwreck, you cant look away and cant wait to see the carnage unfold.

WaeV and Iggy like this

h2_zpsdpjizr8c.jpg

3 hours ago, Puddin said:

Its like a trainwreck, you cant look away and cant wait to see the carnage unfold.

I may just have to move abroad like all those movies stars have promised to do if Trump gets elected.

Tucker933 likes this

2 minutes ago, Puddin said:

Except we're all going to get hit by the shrapnel.

DiSiAC likes this

Trump would be a figurative nuke on Washington D.C. And I get the appeal of bringing in an "outsider" who will shake things up, but he is just not for me.

The GOP and DNC are not that different in terms of power structures. They are both scared of Trump. They were probably both nervous about Bernie Sanders, too.

Maybe our country needs a shakeup, but what prevents me from voting for Donald Trump is his strong lean, not towards the right or left, but towards the authoritarian.

• Ban a religion from entering the country (or the nearest legal alternative)
  • Reinstutute torture
  • "Fix" BLM race relations by implementing unconstitutional "stop and frisk" searches
  • Create a "deportation force" to mass deport 11 million illegal immigrants (immigration from Mexico is already net-negative anyway, thanks Obama!)
  • In Iraq, the USA should have "take[n] the oil" (lolwut? you can't just "take" all the oil, you need a lot of investments in pipelines, and place to store the oil)
  • States the military should do what he tells them, regardless of legality

None of these are really standard American-right or American-left positions, and they all lean towards an incredibly strong Executive branch centered around a strong charisma. No thanks.

That last one specifically is a real hoot. Maybe I should move that one to the top of my List of Disqualifications. I can't keep them all ordered straight anymore...

Washington Times:

Mr. Trump has suggested that he’d order the U.S. military to kill families of Muslim terrorists and institute interrogation techniques worse than waterboarding, itself widely condemned as torture. Torture and retaliatory executions are both war crimes under international law.

In a recent interview, former National Security Agency and CIA director Michael Hayden said that the U.S. military might refuse such orders, which would constitute war crimes. The U.S. military has been trained for decades that an order to commit a war crime is not an legal order and thus must not be obeyed.

This was brought up by one of the moderators at the Fox News debate, and Mr. Trump brushed it aside. He said his personality would count more.

“They won’t refuse. They’re not going to refuse me,” he said. “If I say do it, they’re going to do it.”

Yeah, Hillary sucks to a degree, and if she wins it will be a victory for the status quo, but the powers that be have called my bluff. I caucused for the other outsider, Bernie, but I cannot vote for Trump.

Tucker933 likes this

TRUMPBILL-facebookJumbo-v2.jpg

It's pretty obvious they're in cahoots. What is not obvious is who's gonna win the election. Whoever loses gets money. Whoever wins gets the office. Either way, in my opinion, we lose.

xgd0s9.jpg

Ban a religion from entering the country (or the nearest legal alternative)

Trump has said he would implement a stop gap measure in disallowing immigrants and visitors from countries compromised by terrorism...say like Yemen which is now controlled by Houthi Rebels or Syria which has been teetering back-and-forth in a civil war for the past six years.

Roosevelt and Carter (both Democrats, btw) imposed bans on certain ethnic groups during times of crisis. FDR imposed a ban on Japanese immigrants and visitors (going so far as to place US citizens in interment camps) and Carter revoked the visas of Iranians living in the US. 

Reinstutute torture

Torture never went away, the practice was halted by US personnel on US soil. "Torture-by-proxy" was implement where the US Government renditions a suspect(s) to allied states or war zones occupied by allied foreign nationals that have no laws or moral qualms preforming torture...like Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Afghanistan, . (This action has been used by Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torture_by_proxy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordinary_rendition

"Fix" BLM race relations by implementing unconstitutional "stop and frisk" searches

This already exists, it's called a "Terry Stop". 

Create a "deportation force" to mass deport 11 million illegal immigrants (immigration from Mexico is already net-negative anyway, thanks Obama!)

1.) Can't be done without Congressional approval. 

2.) Mass deportation was never part of Donald Trump’s official plan to begin with (WaPo)

3.) Trump's official immigration policy

In Iraq, the USA should have "take[n] the oil" (lolwut? you can't just "take" all the oil, you need a lot of investments in pipelines, and place to store the oil)

We've done serious investing in Iraqi civil infrastructure under the Iraq Relief and Reconstruction Fund and Coalition Provisional Authority. Current Iraqi oil production is at 4M BPD, while prior to 2003 it was 2.5M BPD. speculated to be over 6M BPD by 2020. 

Post-US withdrawal, China stepped up it's influence in the region and that is paying off, China is currently the largest importer (25%) of Iraqi oil, followed by India (20%), and the the US (17%).  

Trump was advocating the US should have received the bulk of Iraqi oil exports, considering the US' investment, both civilly and militarily into the nation...versus China who is now leading the charts. 

States the military should do what he tells them, regardless of legality

1.) War Powers Act

2.) Congressional authorization needed

As with any other President, Trump could only exercise extremely limited military force deployment for an extremely limited time. While the President is CinC, they retain zero direct control over military assets. The President can have input regarding strategy and policy, but has no control over tactical operations or daily military operations. 

Sceny, WaeV and xvii like this