Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for modders and technology enthusiasts; have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Kru

Windows 7 Install Problems

So I've got an interesting problem. I got my little brother's old Compaq laptop yesterday and as normal, my plan was to nuke the hard drive and reinstall windows (7) on it. Computer came with Windows 7 by default.

Using the install disk, I deleted all of the partitions, created a new partition then tried installing to it. I got an error about not being able to install to that drive:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Weird but ok, I'll go check BIOS. Load up BIOS and noticed immediately that it has literally no options that I can set. Essentially I can change the boot order and that is it. I can't check to see what controller the drives are using or even see what drives BIOS recognizes. I look it up and apparently the fucknuts that decided to make the BIOS software locked away all of the important settings. The only way to get to them is to flash a version of BIOS that has been hacked at by some random person. Seeing as I can't actually boot anything, this isn't going to work. Kept googling my issue and saw that I might be able to fix the problem by using diskpart and doing a secure format (aka fill with zeros). So I ran that and cleaned the drive successfully. When it comes down to actually create the partition though, I start getting a new error:

"Failed to create a new partition on the selected unused space. [Error: 0x80042556]"

(from the GUI). If I try creating a new primary partition from diskpart, I get:

"Virtual Disk Service Error: The service's cache has become corrupt. Diskpart has referenced an object which is not up-to-date. Refresh the object by using the RESCAN command. If the problem persists exit DiskPart, then restart DiskPart or restart the computer."

Looking up the GUI error it looks like it is also a Virtual Disk Service error.

So I'm a bit up shit creek and managed to trash the computer more than it was already. Does anyone have any ideas for either of my problems? I will try anything. Right now I am going to try creating a gparted live disk and try creating the partition with that. I don't have much hope for it though because even if I am able to create the partition successfully, windows is still going to complain about not being able to boot from it.

UPDATE: Couldn't get the GParted live cd to work and I get an input/output error when trying to read/write using the Ubuntu live cd.

Edited by Kru

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

hmm bet you had win 10 and then went back to 7.

i was a insider in 10  and had the same prob.

i just got a new key and new windows 7.

hope that helps you.:D:D:P

Nope, laptop was running windows 7 before I decided to reinstall it. This problem has nothing to do with the copy of windows 7 that I am trying to use.

I've seen errors like this a long time ago when I was doing repairs for a living. If you are able to, you could try to reformat the drive on another computer and see if that does anything. Speed of repairs being most important to me at the time, the fastest way to get it fixed was to simply replace the hard drive. Assuming the old drive wasn't corrupt or damaged, I would then salvage as much data off the old drive as I could.

I had a similar problem to this once before and the problem was indeed a failing hard drive. For some reason it was holding on okay before I tried reinstalling windows but then when it came to make partitions and whatnot I had all sorts of weird errors. It all boiled down to I/O problems and maintaining a connection with the drive's controller. Had to just replace it and everything went peachy.

Kavawuvi: one of these days these glutes are gonna squawk all over you

On 10/8/2016 at 7:20 PM, gsccon said:

hmm bet you had win 10 and then went back to 7.

There is a grain of a question in this post. Are you coming back from a newer OS, like Windows 8/8.1 or 10?

When you formatted the drive with diskpart, did you use the clean option? You may also have to switch from the GPT partitioning scheme to MBR or vice versa. 

AWS/Linux Administrator | Angry Crab Admin

I kinda fixed the problem by pulling the drive and installing Ubuntu onto it from another computer.

But for the curious, I was reinstalling Windows 7 over a previous Windows 7 install. And yes, I reformatted it at least 10 times using clean every time. Like I said, the main problem is that the BIOS on this laptop didn't allow me to make changes to the hard drive settings.

Takka933 likes this