Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Tucker933

Games you're looking forward to

35 posts in this topic
On 1/31/2017 at 8:09 AM, As7raios said:

You're looking forward to a Quake game?

Never played a Quake game as you know, so I'll probably not know if it's a bad departure from the series, but it looks like it has a fun sandbox.

2nd-landin.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

5 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

I'll probably not know if it's a bad departure from the series, but it looks like it has a fun sandbox.

While I'd love to play something like Quake 3 CPMA with more than two semi-active servers, I don't think being a "pure" Quake game would reel in players. Being a departure from Quake 3 at all could be an improvement at this rate.

Even as a person who plays 90's FPS games 90% of the time I wouldn't mind as long as the game is fun. Besides, if we want to play old style Quake then we'll always have the old games. They're cheap on Steam and GoG and have source ports that are still being worked on.

bZL1xvV.png

Speaking of id games the new Doom is pretty kickass.

Also I've got my eye on For Honor like probably everyone else.

On 2/6/2017 at 7:28 PM, Legion said:

While I'd love to play something like Quake 3 CPMA with more than two semi-active servers, I don't think being a "pure" Quake game would reel in players. Being a departure from Quake 3 at all could be an improvement at this rate.

Then just make a new game instead of using Quake's name!!!

Getting real tired of all these series turning into what they're not simply because someone wanted to make a new game while using the name of the old series. You're hurting the old series by changing it into something, at its core, that it's not while hurting your new game by not letting it have its own identity.

I understand why they do it from a marketing standpoint but you're never going to be able to have continued success with shit like that. You're not going to be the next Halo, the next Call of Duty, etc by wearing the skin of another series that, at one point, had a mass following. People are going to smell the rotting corpse and the people who liked the series originally (myself included) are going to be quite pissed that you dug our beloved franchise up.

On 2/6/2017 at 11:46 PM, Sunstriker7 said:

Speaking of id games the new Doom is pretty kickass.

Also I've got my eye on For Honor like probably everyone else.

The new Doom had an AMAZING campaign. It felt incredibly true to the original and I feel like it has a good chance at a revival. Again, it's never going to be a giant success of a series like it originally was but it was amazing. However, the MULTIPLAYER, while it was fantastic, was exactly what I fear will happen to Quake. it felt more like a Halo game than anything else. I'm not too surprised seeing as how Certain Affinity developed it. Would have been amazing as a standalone IP but I hate how much it borrowed from Halo.

Don't go into the "Uh, Doom came out first; duh" shit, either. There are clear things that were taken from the Halo games that Doom did not first introduce. Yes, Halo took things from Doom and 'improved' upon it, but that's what happens when you're moving a genre forward.

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

Yeah Doom 4's multiplayer isn't like Doom 2's multiplayer at all, but I don't actually mind that (I have Zandronum and plenty of friends in the Doom community if I want to play Doom 2 multiplayer). What I didn't like about it is that it's simply not as good as Halo 1, 2, and 3's multiplayer IMO.

bZL1xvV.png

14 hours ago, DRL333 said:

Yeah Doom 4's multiplayer isn't like Doom 2's multiplayer at all, but I don't actually mind that (I have Zandronum and plenty of friends in the Doom community if I want to play Doom 2 multiplayer). What I didn't like about it is that it's simply not as good as Halo 1, 2, and 3's multiplayer IMO.

That's the thing... It can be more easily compared to the Halo games than it can Doom or, the spiritual successor to Doom, Quake. If it was its own game separate from Doom, I'd say good on them but because it has that name, I can't support it. Same way I can't support 343 most of the decisions they made when developing Halo 5.

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

I'm kind of all over the place for games. I'm excited for the Shadows of Mordor sequel, Shadows of War. Horizon Zero Dawn for PS4 looks good, though I don't own a PS4. I was excited for Ghost Recon: Wildlands until I got some hands on time during the open beta. Ghost Recon is going to need to make some significant changes to gameplay and optimizations before I would buy it. As a 40k fan, I'm definitely looking forward to Dawn of War 3, but probably not enough to buy it at launch. I have plenty of strategy games for PC at the moment. Need to find me some other good games to keep my attention for a while.

Dawn of War III, but I want to wait before I even pre-order. I've been hearing that they've turned it more into a MOBA than an RTS and that shit is just not cool. 

Linux/Unix | InfoSec | Electronics | Radios