What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Krazychic

Belkin comes to the rescue with an iPhone 7 headphone-and-charge dongle

147342168315080.jpg

If the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are anything like their predecessors, chances are they'll need to be recharged on occasion—like, for example, when you're riding a plane or a bus. One of the many complaints about the new Lightning-only hardware revision is that in these cases, music and podcast fans with wired headphones won't be able to charge up and listen to audio at the same time. That scenario goes whether you're using old 3.5mm headphones via the smartphone's adapter or upgrading to newer Lightning-port headphones. Charge or listen. Not both.

Spoiler

You might expect that another iPhone 7 adapter could solve this problem, and thankfully that's the case. But oddly enough, Apple won't be the company to provide that solution. Instead, longtime iPhone accessory maker Belkin will be offering a $40 Lightning Audio and Charge Rockstar dongle, which The Verge reports will launch on October 10.

The device is, quite simply, a Lightning-port splitter. It offers two ports where there was originally only one. However, Belkin makes clear that the split will only enable one port to work as a charger and one to work as a Lightning audio device, so if you have other peripherals or add-ons with Lightning functionality, don't expect them to automatically work. And be mindful, 3.5mm headset owners: you will still need to attach another dongle if you want to keep rocking—Apple's Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter. (If you didn't hear, that will come in the box with your new iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.)

If you'd rather avoid the dongle and enjoy audio while charging your phone, you'll need to opt for wireless options. In addition to a myriad selection of Bluetooth devices, you could pony up for new Apple Wireless hardware such as the $159 AirPods or the range of Beats wireless options announced at Wednesday's Apple press conference. However, that might be a tougher sell for frequent flyers, who have to turn off wireless devices on a regular basis.

Source

Tiddy-bits:

17 minutes ago, Finch said:

I think APPLE is getting too far ahead of themselves as usual. 

Well... Apple did away with the floppy and optical drive and got a similar reaction where people thought they were out of their mind, and now the floppy is extinct while the optical drive is getting there. They could get away with this, and analog 3.5 mm could end up actually being a thing of the past.

Just kidding. I'd rather tie a string to my device and to a can and listen to audio through that.

WaeV and Puddin like this

There's a large difference between removing physical storage media devices to utilize better/faster speed devices, but there was no real reason Apple had to remove the headphone jack other than to "make it thinner." Not to mention, RF on any level is a huge security risk, no matter how secure they tote their encryption standards. Bluetooth headsets/headphones were a choice a user had, and now that is taken away.

Takka likes this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

I can't imagine that anyone really wants a thinner phone anymore anyway. They're already pretty thin, and I can't imagine they're doing much to beef up the structure to compensate for becoming easier to bend.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

First thing people do is put a bulky case on that thin phone cause it is too slippery. I'm sad that I'm in the Apple ecosystem. It's going to take a while to move away from it.

Takka likes this

On 9/19/2016 at 1:11 PM, Finch said:

Wait until they try to make them paper thin.

Apple has expanded their products to all corners of the market.  Need to submit a research paper?  Buy a stack of paper-thin, ultra-bendy tablets that can download papers of any format directly to them and display on either side using a touch screen.

Want to really bling your appearance?  New fabric-like computers allow for shirts, pants, and even socks, undergarments, and shoes that display whatever image you want with no loss in comfort, durability, or flexibility.  You can even enable touch functions and use your sleeve as a calculator or watch, or put on a show using only your body and your iCloth.

Want a phone, but don't want the bulk?  The specially-made iPhone 44 is so thin and flexible that you can fold it up and put it in your pocket like a sheet of paper, without the wrinkles.  All you need to charge it is a light source with specially-made solar panels ringing the device, and it will connect to any wireless device of your choosing.

Want the most advanced in automobile technology?  iAuto is five-star safety and mileage in a tiny package.  Never worry about parking space again with our patented technology that allows you to simply fold your car up in thirty easy steps and store it anywhere you would store a dining table.

Buy Apple today.

Coming soon: neural-interface devices!

Edited by Tiamat
Puddin likes this

ZFkXnuW.png External link

On 9/14/2016 at 3:18 PM, Tucker933 said:

I can't imagine that anyone really wants a thinner phone anymore anyway. They're already pretty thin, and I can't imagine they're doing much to beef up the structure to compensate for becoming easier to bend.

The new iPhone is more waterproof, has a better taptic engine, and a slightly larger battery.

Headphone jacks are notoriously difficult to waterproof.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/15/ifixit-teardown-reveals-exactly-what-replaced-the-iphone-7s-headphone-jack/

I've said it once, I'll say it again. I'm glad Apple is pushing the envelope and I think it's the right move. But on the other hand, I'm glad I don't have to use Apple products! :lol: